This ICE is driving me crazy.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #31  
Bird -

I guess it takes a Texan to tell me what's going on here in California. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Come to think of it, I haven't read the paper much during these holidays. I've got some catching up to do...

HarvSig.gif

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #32  
DFB,
One thing about a moose,they have the best 4wd of anything around /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and like soft maples&evergreens. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Snowing here half inch so far,but the stars are out. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #33  
DFB,
The last sighting of a Mtn Loin was this pass summer by a lady in Barnard,VT,and even our local paper did a story.
VT F&G said it wasn't sure,and In Plymouth,NH one was sighted by 6 people and NH F&G said they weren't sure,loggers and hunters have claim they cats are back but the stated refuse to say yes I guess bad PR. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Hope someone video one and not shoot one to prove there back.

First of December NH ran a story about bring back the wolf,now there we could have trouble..big time,for the state can't even control the coy dogs.

I look at it this way there were here first,and all we did was to push them off or....
Maybe man could learn once again from the wildlife,only take what you need and replace what you take.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #34  
I think we're saying the same thing. The important point is that having a protector may provide false security. Typical ones sold in hardware stores may not be working, and there's not a good way of telling without test equipment. The question of life span really is whether a unit that withstood a substantial surge has the same capacity to withstand subsequent surges. As you note, semi-conductors don't wear-out.

The protectors I bought for my PA equipment do have a test circuit, but I believe it only detects continuity through the surge circuit rather than the ability of the unit to handle surges. However, a continuity monitor is better than nothing.

I bought the protectors for their ability to handle surges as well as voltage spikes and dirty AC in general. The units also have pretty good filters in them. Dirty AC can play havoc with PA systems as well as computers. The availability of protectors that have AC 'power conditioning' capability in addition to surge protection might be a good thing for folks to know that live in areas subject to AC power problems.

Hope the information you supplied, and maybe mine too, is of some general interest. After all, if peoples' computers get zapped through dead protectors, then nobody can read what they've got to say. However, I do have a question that is probably of limited general interest. I've seen protectors with high and low voltage LED's on them. I imagine that the clamping circuit is active if the high voltage indicator is lit. A simple zenor diode circuit is just going to square off the top of the AC wave above a set voltage. I believe that operating some equipment for sustained periods on what amounts to a square wave would damage the equipment. What I don't know is if zenor diode type protectors have additional circuitry to reshape the output power to a sine wave form. In PA work, sustained high or low voltage problems are managed by equipment that includes an auto-transformer which doesn't alter the AC wave form.

I forgot to mention that non-clumping kitty litter also is good for ice.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #35  
Harv, I can't remember what TV channel ran that story about the mountain lions coming back and causing problems in Calfornia, but think it might have been the Discovery Channel, so no telling when it was actually filmed.

Bird

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #36  
The coy dogs!!
Really starting to become a problem around my next of the woods. Two years ago, I shot a deer early in the AM and dragged it out to the road, while driving my truck back to pick it up, I saw two of them bastards chewing on a hindquarter! By the time I stop and chambered a round ... gone.

They are really becoming a pain. It isn't safe to let
your small dogs or cats stay out all night.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #37  
OK, what is a "coy dog?" Don't think I've heard that term before.

Bird

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #38  
coy dogs,
Cross between regular dogs and coyotes.
The cross probably occured several generations ago
as the dogs we see now are starting to look more coyote
than the mixes we used to see.
Clever, sneaky and pretty tough for their size.

Dave

Open season all year round.
They take a few deer in the winter but take quite a few
fawns in June.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by DaveNH on 1/2/01 08:29 AM.</FONT></P>

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #39  
Thanks, DaveNH. We have an ample supply of coyotes and stray dogs,/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif but haven't known of any wild crossbreeds in the area.

Bird

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #40  
Now, thats a debate for sure! Is a COYDOG really a feral dog or an an EASTERN COYOTE or a MIX between the two? Wildlife officials say its a coyote but then again they say there are no mountain lions. Bird are there wild pigs in Texas?