This ICE is driving me crazy.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
OK, guys I know that a lot of people have said I am already CRAZY, but this north central Arkansas ice is pushing me over the limit.. We have only lost power about twice. Some of my friends around had it off for over a week. Both times it happen to me it went off around 8PM and when I was in a warm bed next to my lovely wife it came back on about 11PM, I sure said "God bless the lineman up the pole in that wind who throw the power back on." But the last time it took our phone for two days and my surge protector on my computer and modem... I have been out of touch with the rest of the world. Not being able to just hit a button and see the radar of the state or half of the USA, or leave a note to a friend two states over who I have never seen, it drove me nuts. Just glad everyone was alright with out me, and could carry on... I count my blessings and wish you all well....

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #2  
Welcome back. You folks have been catching it good, thats for sure. You mean that your surge protector, modem, and phone were fried? I thought surge protectors were suppose to prevent those kinds of things. Well, hang in there, from what I've seen on the news, that storm has moved east.
Happy New Year

Ernie
"Do not be uneasy about me, I am among friends"
David Crockett 1836 (in a letter to his family)

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #3  
JAG, The first ice storm devastated my trees. But thank goodness, this last storm stalled out at about Jacksonville. and we only got a small amout of ice. Little Rock and Texarkana sure had it bad the second time though. We were only out of power for about 4 hours through all of this. Glad to have you back!! jim

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #4  
Hang in there Jag the year almost over.

You and your wife have a safe and warm New Year.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ This ICE is driving me crazy.
Point of clarity. The surge protector went south on the phone line only. It will no longer carry the phone line through it.. Point alot of people I know have a surge protector on the computer but have the phone line hooked up directly, not a good idea as this just proves...

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #6  
Hold on to your hats. It is snowing here in OKC now and headed your way I think. We have about 5" of new snow( New Englanders don't laugh!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). Does anybody know a good way to get ice of my driveway? I hate to use salt (bad for the lawn) or urea (bad for concrete). I have bladed forward and backward. I have used the FEL forward and backward and nothing seems to work. Is there any chemical that works that doesn't have some bad side effects? The snow is a blessing after putting up with the ice for almost a week. I can at least drive on the snow and it will be pretty easy to remove.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #7  
Eddie, I didn't laugh(well maybe a snicker)./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif No really I saw some of the ice on the tv. I can just imagine what you're going thru. We had a severe ice storm 2 years ago most of New England was hard hit. Anyway about the ice melt I'm using potassium chloride pellets. ICE BUSTER is the brand name. The bag says it's environmently friendly and labeled SAFE FOR VEGATATION. Might be something you can use. Also some people put woodstove ashes on the ice. The black absorbs the heat of the sun helps to melt the ice. Never tried it myself.

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #8  
Jag, a lesson I learned the hard way. I had a surge protector as you described, nothing on the phone line. a lightening strike hit my phone line, got the phone and the modem. I had to get a new phone, new modem, and this time I got a protector for the phone line. It was a lesson I'll remember.

Ernie
"Do not be uneasy about me, I am among friends"
David Crockett 1836 (in a letter to his family)

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #9  
My TrippLite Internet Office UPS includes surge protection for both the computer and the phone line.

Bird

/ This ICE is driving me crazy. #10  
DFB,
Wood ashes work fine if there not much of a grade to the driveway.
Spreading wood ashes on the walk way to house door really not a good idea,for one will track the ashes into there home, /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and you know what that means.

I use my wood ashes for traction also on the lawn{moles} and there no mess nor damage,also heard people use wood ashes in there garden.

Hope you had a pleasant time removing the snow. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif