what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #11  
Nothing to do with programming a remote, but we keep our kitchen TV remote in a ziploc bag. Buttons are easy to operate and it keeps it dry and all the other kitchen nasties off of it.

Ken

Very good idea Ken, we will have to try this, when the grandson comes they get sticky, now if I can find one big enough for my laptop keyboard.:laughing:

Dave

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #13  
Two choices: don't let grandson play/use remote, don't let wife wash dishes! :laughing:
(Other wise, dry out the remote and call DISH and tell them it doesn't work. Don't volunteer that it took a bath!)

For future cleaning --- use (alcohol content) wet wipes to clean the remote exterior. :dance1:

Or, put it inside a plastic bag.

Last edited:
   / what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #14  
Look up the model number on Ebay. I bought a couple of them last year. It even comes with a easy to follow instructions sheet to reprogram the remote to the TV and receiver.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #15  
Dish has replaced my remote and DVR free of charge several times but I dont know if we have the maintenance agreement or not. When looking at a replacement, look on the back at the top and look at the xx IR number. Mine are 20.1IR and 20.3IR and they only control the receiver that they are linked to.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?
i doubt it would work.. the dish remote is uhf and ir

in any case.. called em today while I was at home for lunch.. told them the remote didn't work.. they said they'd send me a new one.. didn't mention a charge?

did say I'd have to do some song and dance to program it to the rcvr though.

will see.. :)

Look for a cheap universal learning remote. I have several different models from X10 over the years. They were on sale for $35.00.
I teach them the codes from the original remote, then pull the batteries from the original remote and store it (usually behind the device it controls) for future needs.

X10 stuff is cheap (and cheaply made, no argument there) but it works pretty well.

Or just try a universal remote. They usually have codes already built in for most products theses days and non-learning ones can be had for twenty bucks.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?
yep.. i've been cleaning it with alcohol.

and I will try out that ziplock bag idea.

i didn't voulenteer it took a bath.. just said it no longer worked.. that seemed good enough for them.. :)

will see

Two choices: don't let grandson play/use remote, don't let wife wash dishes! :laughing:
(Other wise, dry out the remote and call DISH and tell them it doesn't work. Don't volunteer that it took a bath!)

For future cleaning --- use (alcohol content) wet wipes to clean the remote exterior. :dance1:

Or, put it inside a plastic bag.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #18  
yep.. i've been cleaning it with alcohol.

and I will try out that ziplock bag idea.

i didn't voulenteer it took a bath.. just said it no longer worked.. that seemed good enough for them.. :)

will see

You'll be OK...you were smart to just say it did not work...they did not charge me when mine just stopped working...wink...wink...Most times...silence is golden...

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #19  
i doubt it would work.. the dish remote is uhf and ir

in any case.. called em today while I was at home for lunch.. told them the remote didn't work.. they said they'd send me a new one.. didn't mention a charge?

did say I'd have to do some song and dance to program it to the rcvr though.

will see.. :)

Ah, yes. I forgot about the UHF. A friend of mine has Dish and mentioned that once.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #20  
They will send you one,but they need to know if its infra red,or through the walls, remote one or remote two. if remote one or remote two is set up for infra red,then all the remotes on one or two must be infra-red, no mixing. I just went through all this with dish after relocating my reciever to the downstairs den.