what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #21  
is there a Thrift store in your area? I've been in the local ones around here and picked up a couple extra for our Direct receiver, give about 1.00 each for them, many time you'll find the remotes in a box or basket full of mixed up mslc. remotes,

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?
both remote 1 and remote 2 are infra red, and remote 2 is also uhf

the guy on the phon eyesterday says all they ship now are uhf/ir universals, pre conficgured with that lil plastic piece as remote 2, but swapable to 1. they do ask if it's the black non dvr one or the silver dvr one. mine was the black.. for the kitchen tv.. etc.

will see how easy it is to setup tot he reciever... makes ya wonder how to do that if the rcvr needs a remote.. :)

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #23  
i'll have to call them and see if i can get that free one.. hadn't thought about that as a possibility
Call them and tell them their junk remote failed and you are thinking about switching to Direct TV and I'm pretty sure they will send you a new one. I did that when my Dish receiver hard drive failed and they tried to sell me a new one. They sent a replacement free of charge (I did have to pay for shipping).

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #24  
Call them and tell them their junk remote failed and you are thinking about switching to Direct TV and I'm pretty sure they will send you a new one. I did that when my Dish receiver hard drive failed and they tried to sell me a new one. They sent a replacement free of charge (I did have to pay for shipping).

When my hard drive went toes up they sent a new one and a guy to set it up; no muss no fuss.:thumbsup:

i'm surprised dish and dtv remotes end up at a 2nd hand store as they are really not usefull for any other equip?

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #26  
i'm surprised dish and dtv remotes end up at a 2nd hand store as they are really not usefull for any other equip?

You see any tech folks working in the thrift store that would know that?
Thrift stores get all kinds of stuff. Unfortunately, they also get all kinds of useless stuff and sometimes they get people's garbage. However, if it is just sitting in a box or barrel of dollar parts it really isn't costing them anything to let it sit there for a year or two.

I went to a Goodwill store last year with my kid on a 50% off sale day. I got a 4" reflector telescope and a stainless steel copper bottom cooking wok for less than $20.00. Plus a bunch of cheap wood picture frames for her art projects.
But I've rarely seen good electronics there.

i hear ya...

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #28  
You see any tech folks working in the thrift store that would know that?
Thrift stores get all kinds of stuff. Unfortunately, they also get all kinds of useless stuff and sometimes they get people's garbage. However, if it is just sitting in a box or barrel of dollar parts it really isn't costing them anything to let it sit there for a year or two.
But I've rarely seen good electronics there.

I use to get some great deals on used computers, most between 15-20.00 I would plug them up to test them first, I bought them mostly for the parts , video/,soundcards,memory,Hdd,optical drives, CPU's etc,etc, But if they actually work half decent I'd clean them up put a keyboard/ mouse and CRT monitor with it and sell them or either donate them to children, But since this place went under new management they got wise to the value of the computers and now sell them for 50.00..60.00 +
:cool: ......................... But yes you would be suprised at what people will donate decent electronics to the thrift stores, surrounds sound systems for 25.00 ... older model Digital camera's for 5.00 & 10.00 , and yes digital Dish and Direct TV receivers, I guess thats how they wind up with the remotes,

i always thought the dish and DTV equipment 'technically' had to go back to dish/dtv... yeah, yeah, i know.. as a company i doubt they want a 5yr old dusty rcvr back.. etc...

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #30  
We used to be dish & directv dealers back 10-15 years ago. Back then, the remotes would work for all receivers. You had to guess the code of either 1,2 or 3 to match the receiver to the remote.

In those days, the companies would not send out a free remote, we used to sell spare remotes like hot cakes at $50 a pop. Our cost was under $10. :)

I honestly don't miss those days - had to be THE most confusing convoluted new install payment system ever developed. But that's another thread topic.

Glad you have a new one headed your way.