what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #31  
I can remember when direct TV first started up we could Buy from retail stores a package that included the receiver, Sat dish and all necessary wire's etc,etc, ( do it yourself kit ) although I'm sure all of them were upgraded after a year or 2, certainly wouldn't be seeing them turn up at thrift stores theses days,:cool: Folks stopped buying the kits when Direct started offering to provide and install and give free service ( for a committed contract of course );) ... in the past year or so they offer to let you take your equipment with you and they will come re-set it up at your new location, Though many people have changed to HD & DVR receivers so I'm sure direct has no use for all that old equipment and let their customers despose of them the best way they can,

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #32  
i always thought the dish and DTV equipment 'technically' had to go back to dish/dtv... yeah, yeah, i know.. as a company i doubt they want a 5yr old dusty rcvr back.. etc...

We had to buy our first DirectTV receiver 15 years ago. It was made by RCA. It was a couple hundred bucks. A few years later, it stopped working. They said I'd have to buy another box. My ex-brother-in-law worked for RCA at the time. His job was to develop the programming for DirectTV receivers. Hee hee, He came up with a new motherboard for free and we swapped it out. Had to call to get the card to work in it, just told them I bought a new box. O.K. Then they told me they upgraded their systems and I had to get another box. They sent it to me for free. That one lasted until about a year ago, when again, they said it was time to upgrade the box, and they again sent me a new one. They never asked for any of the old boxes back.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?
back when it was probably easier to pirate stuff.. they might have wanted, even old, hardware back.

anyone remember the c-band days? :) wizard software and all the other tricks.. :) ;)

i still have my old paraclipse dish...

i do see a familiar name on my dishtv stuff.. in fine print I see echostar in some places.

remember the good old days.

anik.. etc...

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #34  
As some of you others did, I bought my first satellite TV system on 5/17/97 for a total of $322.58 from Circuit City in Waco, TX. It was made by RCA, of course. I had helped my brother install his, and he came and helped me install mine on 5/31/97. Now it was DirecTV, but down in the country, it was called Pegasus and on 6/6/97, I paid $182.37 in advance for one year's DirecTV programming. Unfortunately, I pay that much in 2 months now.:laughing:

Where we are now, I had Dish until I got disgusted with them and changed to DirecTV. They recently went up to $7.99 a month for their "Protection Plan" but after having my wife fuss at me for a month or two because the number 5 no longer worked on the living room remote, and a couple of other numbers were a bit contrary, I finally remembered to call the 24th of last month, and the lady said she'd order me a new remote and I should get it in 3 to 5 business days. However, it arrived the next day; within 24 hours of my call.

mines not hear yet.. but they said it should be here tomorrow.

will see.. :)

can't wait to figure out how to program it.. :)

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #36  
It was around '96/'97 when we first got satellite, It was called ( Prime-star ) didn't last but 2 years when Direct-tv took over, We had all premium channels through Prime-star and when Direct-tv took over they tried to downgrade my package, I told them to come get their equipment, They then said they would leave things like it was, been with them ever since, although due to the economy and them upping their prices forced me to downgrade myself a few months ago, I have basic and local channels only, But I do have Roku netflix- and hulu for allot less :thumbsup:
Programing a remote is all the fun of getting new:D

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #37  
Programing a remote is all the fun of getting new

It took me awhile, but it was my fault.:laughing: Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, it only took a few seconds.

well.. when i got off work, the big brown truck had left me a small box.

1 shiney, new, DRY remote.. and 4 good cheap chinese batteries :)

2 instruction booklets.. one for the remote.. one for setting the remote to your tv, and other devices.

the tech on the phone asked if it was 1 or 2 remote, and some other number and said he would try to preset to my system?

apparrently he did.. i put batteries in it and it just worked.

flipped to the tv programmer.. found my tv model.. it had 5 codes listed. 2nd code worked.

cool beans..

it's now in a ziplock bag.

right after I got that done the wife walked over and had dropepd a fork into the garbage disposal and it was now stuck ;)

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #39  
back when it was probably easier to pirate stuff.. they might have wanted, even old, hardware back.

anyone remember the c-band days? :) wizard software and all the other tricks.. :) ;)

i still have my old paraclipse dish...

i do see a familiar name on my dishtv stuff.. in fine print I see echostar in some places.

remember the good old days.

anik.. etc...
Kinda like pirate CB, pirate satellite took off. My former B.I.L. that worked at RCA was involved with security. He laughed at how quickly their "secure" key cards were cracked.

Remember "Black Sunday" back in 2001 when DirecTV blasted the pirate cards a week before the Super Bowl? :laughing: I knew a couple people that used to brag about stealing satellite.... no Super Bowl for them. :cool2:

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #40  
most people rent their equipment, which is why dish will send a free remote.