what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
wife likes to 'wash' one of the dish remotes. the one in the kitchen gets wet about once a month and i have to pop it apart and dry it out and clean the baord with alcohol.

apparrently didn't survive this time. each time she looks at me as if she has no idea how it gets wet when she leaves it by the sink. ( really? )

anyway.. we have 2 boxes.. one with dvr, one not. each has a 1/2 labeled remote bedroom and living room have the dvr box and their silver remotes with dvr functions..e tc.

kitchen and dining room have the non dvr 1/2 black remotes. the kitchen / 1 remote died.

i'm going out on a limb here and guessing i can't hit a dish reseller and just buy a remote and take it home and it will work.. right?

what's the routine i'll be looking at? wife likes to listen to tv in the am while putting around the house and that didn't happen this am.. which means I have to listen tot he wife not listening to the tv in the kitchen..

catch my drift? :)

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #2  
As far as I know, you can go on Ebay and buy a new one and it will work. You have to get the right remote for the right box.... though. I have a Dish 322 Dual TV receiver, one remote is IR for the house TV and the other remote is UHF for the TV a out in my pole barn.... so I can watch the Lions lose on the weekends.... :) But they have quite a few different receiver boxes, and you can see mine has two differnt types of remotes...

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #3  
call dish they will probably just send you one.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #4  
A dealer should have one, I have seen them at Walmart also, no matter where you get one from, you have to program it to the tv that you want to control. The instructions on how to program a remote is in the owers book.

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #5  
If you get the exact replacement like the one that came with your receiver, there is little or no programing to do. Like above posts, if you pay the extra month maintenance fee, they will give you one for 'free'. I think it is around $5 a month extra on your bill. And, it would be good to try them first and get one for free if possible.... :)

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #6  
I bought a Logitech universal remote, little pricey but worth it and no problems in three years...I have the harmony one version...it is capable of running every thing you own that is able to be remotely operated....aside from that you can get one at wally world

Rich

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote?
i'll have to call them and see if i can get that free one.. hadn't thought about that as a possibility

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #8  
   / what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #9  
Nothing to do with programming a remote, but we keep our kitchen TV remote in a ziploc bag. Buttons are easy to operate and it keeps it dry and all the other kitchen nasties off of it.

Ken

/ what's it take to switch out a DISH remote? #10  
Look for a cheap universal learning remote. I have several different models from X10 over the years. They were on sale for $35.00.
I teach them the codes from the original remote, then pull the batteries from the original remote and store it (usually behind the device it controls) for future needs.

X10 stuff is cheap (and cheaply made, no argument there) but it works pretty well.

Or just try a universal remote. They usually have codes already built in for most products theses days and non-learning ones can be had for twenty bucks.