Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
Long story short, I need new tires for my wifes 2007 Expedition el. I recently replaced the tires that were on it when we bought it. They are 305/45/22 Nitto 420s. I thought they'd be good at least for the first winter as they are full tread. Not so, last weekend and this weekend proved they are garbage tires in snow. No way are they staying on. I just got it out of the ditch this afternoon. Thats never happened to me in nearly 20 years of driving.

I don't know if the size is the problem, obviously the tire is wrong for the truck.

Should I buy dedicated rims and winter tire?

I had Goodyear Duratrac on our previous Tahoe which she wants again. I wasn't impressed with the wear though.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone alenza.

I also need tire for my 2007 Lincoln LT.

Thanks for the any and all advice I know will come.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #2  
There's a transportation forum on TBN that might get quicker response.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #3  
I run Goodyear wrangler A/T , get about 55k, not sure about snow....I live in Texas.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #4  
I like the BF Goodrich p265 70r 17 for my F150. But I don't know a thing about how they work in the snow.
I get over 70 k out of them and they are great in the rain.
I still have plenty of tread left at 70K but that's as long as I want to leave a tire in service.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #5  
I got 94,400 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone Duelers that came on my Z71. I bought another set this spring.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #6  
wow, 94 k bridgestone dueler and 70+ with the bf goodrich, I am switching brands...

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks.
whistlepig said:
I got 94,400 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone Duelers that came on my Z71. I bought another set this spring.

Did they ever see snow? How were they for traction? My duratracs were done after about two years 40-50 k km

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #8  
Bridgestones wear like iron, but in my experience are just a little slippery because of the hard rubber compound. I have had good luck with Kelly Springfield.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #9  
I have owned better tires for snow than Bridgestones. But at the cost of tires these days I'll slow down a bit on the snow days. At the worst my one hour to and from work will be fifteen minutes longer. And it doesn't snow all winter.

/ Help needed to slect new tires for my trucks. #10  
I recommend Michlins and had them on my z-71 and got 90,000 out of them just bought another set ,around a thousand bucks but 10 ply tires and last forever .