What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #21  
Re: What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Ama

I have been to Durham many times, but I can't remember ever seeing this bridge. In retrospect, I don't want to either. Thanks for posting.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #22  
   / What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #23  
image-1474485794.jpg

Not the best of pictures, but this is one bridge that gets its fair share trucks, and floods during heavy rains.

Notice how the concrete is all chewed up!

Attachments

• image-2723501516.jpg
    image-2723501516.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 128
   / What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #24  
   / What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #25  
Re: What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Ama

I guess a lot of people find this video amusing. As a professional driver i find it very disturbing to think that there are people driving heavy comercial trucks that are to dumb to read the sign and know the height of their truck! I have drove some 2 million accident free miles and have come across a lot of low bridges and bridges that are improperly marked. To the countys, towns, cities and states whom have improperly marked bridges . . .Well shame on them for their laziness, but . . . .to the person whom hits the bridge . . .SHAME ON YOU ! Be a professional, know your suroundings, know your rig and slow down so you can read the signs. I'm a tractor trailer driver trainer and harp this point at least 10 hours a day, if they don't get it simple as that they dont drive! Its a lot easier to explain a delay in your arrival time to your company instead of why they are buying a damaged bridge or worse yet a death! In Syracuse New York we have seen to many deaths due to stupidity on the drivers part.
Sorry for ranting but this really irritates me, BIG time . . .John

Attachments

• you cant fix stupid.jpg
    you cant fix stupid.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
   / What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #27  

It looks like there is a "scraper I-beam" mounted in front of the actual bridge framework.
Saves the bridge at least.

I watched a segment on TV about this bridge. IIRC, they installed the I-beam so they would not to have to keep inspecting/repairing the bridge.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #28  

If the sign means what it says , then it reinforces what my third grade teacher always said when doing math always pay attention what the sign or the problem is whether it is add or subtract 11'8" [11' -8" versus 11' +8"] big difference, big difference. If that sign actually means that it is 11' minus 8" then those that had anything to do with that sign being put up needs to have their heads peeled. If the clearance is 10'4" then that is what the sign should have on it for the clearance and not 11'-8".

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #29  

boy they sure don't build them like they used to...can't imagine how that bridge structure deals with constant impacts like that; would think over time it would create some
lasting damage to the bridge, even with the clearance bars taking the big hit. When I bought a new gps for my surburban, I got the Magellan truck one that lets you input width, weight and I believe height into the unit, so it will alarm supposedly if one is going down a road with a too small bridge or overpass ahead. Since I'm going to be hauling my Kubota once in a while on a trailer, this post sure motivates me to get out there with a tape measure and figure out total height. No way do I want to rip my nice new cab off....that would seriously ruin my day, insured or not.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #30  

it looked like the camper just kept on going! why stop now, not much you can do till you get parked and fix it i guess

we have a bridge here locally that has been hit over and over, and unfortunately one time was by a double decker bus,
killed a few people. just terrible that these professional drivers can't heed all the warnings,, and believe me, there are
tons of signs/lights etc for a mile ahead of it.

Probably did not know he hit the bridge. The best story I have heard about vehicles striking bridges was the individual pulling a large camper that sheared the AC units off the top. When he got to the camp ground and opened the camper door and saw the holes in the roof he called the police to report a theft. He got very upset when they declined to file a theft report and informed him he had hit something somewhere. He filed a complaint against the responding police officer. Took the police about a week of checking to locate the bridge he had struck. They then did in my opinion the right thing. The police were the bridge was struck charged him with hit and run. They also had the local paper request that people with cars that were damaged from the debris contact them. I would speculate his insurance company is still paying.