What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #31  
Re: What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Ama

Years ago I found an oversized truck trapped by a bridge. He had been detoured off 95 due to a construction project. He told them he was over sized to run route 1 but they sent him anyway. He didn't hit the overpass but he sure wasn't going to fit under it. Driver knew what he was doing,told me he used to move houses and would tie a roller skate to wires ,the skate would roll along the roof. He sat there for a couple of days,I brought him food and was about to bring him some diesel when the state police finally closed the road and he backed up over a mile to get off !

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #33  
Re: What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Ama

Hey we have one down here like that only it is 10' 8", but they do have a bypass lane beside it. Still there has been countless vehicles tear the top off trying to make it. I saw the highway patrol stop one at least 5 miles down the road that had torn the top and rear of their camper and was dragging it down the road. Some people really have no business driving.

Randy

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #34  

Years ago I found an oversized truck trapped by a bridge. He had been detoured off 95 due to a construction project. He told them he was over sized to run route 1 but they sent him anyway. He didn't hit the overpass but he sure wasn't going to fit under it. Driver knew what he was doing,told me he used to move houses and would tie a roller skate to wires ,the skate would roll along the roof. He sat there for a couple of days,I brought him food and was about to bring him some diesel when the state police finally closed the road and he backed up over a mile to get off !
Having worked as a Journeyman Lineman for the provincial electrical utility for 35 years, I'd say he had no idea of what he was doing. I would say he was extremely luck to have not electrocuted himself.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #35  

Mace, reminiscent of the high level bridge in Edmonton. Or back when the Rat Hole.:D

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #36  

They should hang some clearance chains:

View attachment 289066

Did you see the guy with the load of hay? Did you see the guy behind following even after the first load got splattered? My guess is that many people would still run under the bridge. All you have to do is put a cell phone into peoples' hands and they become completely brain dead. Cell phone 'drunk' is what I call it.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #37  

A few years back a local linemen hit a wood train bridge, 2hrs before quiting time, on his retirement day! The funny thing is, the utility and RR are owned buy the same billinare.

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #38  

I see stories about that bridge periodically. I think those lights only flash when the vehicle is known to be too tall, so I don't know that chains would help.
Also, the sign is just typical units marking in this area so the 11' - 8" in not meant to imply that math is needed.

We consider it an IQ test for drivers...a "lab practical" if you will. :D

There are three major universities in the area, and if you hit the bridge, you get a scholarship to "Carolina" and blacklisted by State and Duke. :laughing:

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #39  

A few years back a local linemen hit a wood train bridge, 2hrs before quiting time, on his retirement day! The funny thing is, the utility and RR are owned buy the same billinare.

Karma.

A couple years back a dump truck driver forgot his bed was up and ran into an overpass in I-95, it was his first day on the job - could have been his last too :laughing:

/ What a bridge....Look at all the trucks & campers that shear their tops off...Amazing #40  

OK, I understand it might not be so easy to fix now,.. I guess look on the bright side, it provides work for a lot of towing companies and repair facilitys to repair van type trucks. I guess they can call the bridge the "can opener".. or the "peeler":) It sure makes a mess of those who ignore it.

James K0UA

Twas a good question and I wondered why "they" did not fix the road under the bridge. Because of this thread, I now know. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan