Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I realized I have a camo real tree AP 'hunting' jacket (which needs to be replaced) that only gets worn ~1 wk of deer rifle season and maybe a handful of other times for muzzleloader season, then it sits in the closet until next year.. I am considering replacing the jacket with something in another non-camo color that could be worn for casual use throughout the fall/winter

What color, besides camo, would you recommend for deer hunting? I am thinking foilage, OD, or some other green color - or maybe something in gray-ish..

I like 'coyote' (tan), but im afraid that is too close to the color of a deer. BUT I do wear blaze orange when IM hunting

Right now im leaning toward the Condor Summit softshell in foilage or olive drab OR the Rothco Tactical Jacket in olive drab

Amazon.com: Condor Summit Soft Shell Tactical Jacket: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Rothco Mens Special Ops Tactical Soft Shell Jacket: Clothing

Brian

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #2  
Deer can see blues,so any other color should work.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #3  
I stopped hunting years ago because even if one is wearing orange with flashing neon lights they look like a DEER to some of todays hunters. Gone from hunting in my opinion is the mandate that before shooting always identify the target and make sure it is what you are hunting and not something else. A lot of todays hunters hear a noise and shoot at the area they heard the noise.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #4  
I stopped hunting years ago because even if one is wearing orange with flashing neon lights they look like a DEER to some of todays hunters. Gone from hunting in my opinion is the mandate that before shooting always identify the target and make sure it is what you are hunting and not something else. A lot of todays hunters hear a noise and shoot at the area they heard the noise.

Now don't get me wrong on this, I have heard plenty of deer, but every time I have heard sustained noises made by an unseen source, it was another hunter. The key there is sustained. Deer are just better at moving though the woods than people.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #5  

Gator...I agree....I stopped too...even in my own woods...I have actually heard a bullet waffle past me...I mean, it was close to make that noise where I could hear it...So that was enough for me...that and actually walking up on some tress passers who were up in my trees...I told them they were on private property and to leave and stood there while they did....that was a few years ago...You're right...not worth the risk now days..

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #6  
Can't tell ya what to get but I sure can tell ya what not to get.

Many yrs ago while out hunting I came upon a fallen large log not too far away. Spotted something behind the log, and all I could see was what looked like a deer laying down with its back showing, for sure the object appeared to be deer hide. Raise my gun but waited until a saw the head to make sure what it was. To my surprise when there was some movement, it turned out to be another hunter. The man was very fortunate that day. For sure he received a chewing out for his stupidity.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #8  
armor-suit1.jpg

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #9  
What do deer see? I, personally wear an orange vest and an orange hat when our Son and I take our inside dog on her daily runs during hunting season. I even put an orange vest on our dog. BTW, I don't hunt anymore. Best wishes this season.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #10  
I have had deer trot within three steps of me and never knew I was there. I hunt in jeans and whatever coat I have at the time. Just don't get anything that is close to brown or white. If you want to break up your outline get a large plaid, the first camo.