Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Default Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed

I realized I have a camo real tree AP 'hunting' jacket (which needs to be replaced) that only gets worn ~1 wk of deer rifle season and maybe a handful of other times for muzzleloader season, then it sits in the closet until next year.. I am considering replacing the jacket with something in another non-camo color that could be worn for casual use throughout the fall/winter

What color, besides camo, would you recommend for deer hunting? I am thinking foilage, OD, or some other green color - or maybe something in gray-ish..

I like 'coyote' (tan), but im afraid that is too close to the color of a deer. BUT I do wear blaze orange when IM hunting

Right now im leaning toward the Condor Summit softshell in foilage or olive drab OR the Rothco Tactical Jacket in olive drab

Amazon.com: Condor Summit Soft Shell Tactical Jacket: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Rothco Mens Special Ops Tactical Soft Shell Jacket: Clothing

Brian
    Bedford, VA
    2320 w/ 62D MMM, 200CX FEL, Pats EZ Change, LX4 Cutter
    Co-owner (with my father) of John Deere 790, 30 HP, 4x4, 513 cutter, 70 FEL
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Default Re: Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed

Deer can see blues,so any other color should work.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

I stopped hunting years ago because even if one is wearing orange with flashing neon lights they look like a DEER to some of todays hunters. Gone from hunting in my opinion is the mandate that before shooting always identify the target and make sure it is what you are hunting and not something else. A lot of todays hunters hear a noise and shoot at the area they heard the noise.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Quote Originally Posted by Gator6x4 View Post
    I stopped hunting years ago because even if one is wearing orange with flashing neon lights they look like a DEER to some of todays hunters. Gone from hunting in my opinion is the mandate that before shooting always identify the target and make sure it is what you are hunting and not something else. A lot of todays hunters hear a noise and shoot at the area they heard the noise.
    Now don't get me wrong on this, I have heard plenty of deer, but every time I have heard sustained noises made by an unseen source, it was another hunter. The key there is sustained. Deer are just better at moving though the woods than people.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator6x4 View Post
    Gator...I agree....I stopped too...even in my own woods...I have actually heard a bullet waffle past me...I mean, it was close to make that noise where I could hear it...So that was enough for me...that and actually walking up on some tress passers who were up in my trees...I told them they were on private property and to leave and stood there while they did....that was a few years ago...You're right...not worth the risk now days..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

Can't tell ya what to get but I sure can tell ya what not to get.

Many yrs ago while out hunting I came upon a fallen large log not too far away. Spotted something behind the log, and all I could see was what looked like a deer laying down with its back showing, for sure the object appeared to be deer hide. Raise my gun but waited until a saw the head to make sure what it was. To my surprise when there was some movement, it turned out to be another hunter. The man was very fortunate that day. For sure he received a chewing out for his stupidity.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Check out some of the jackets Duluth Trading has.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

-armor-suit1-jpg

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

What do deer see? I, personally wear an orange vest and an orange hat when our Son and I take our inside dog on her daily runs during hunting season. I even put an orange vest on our dog. BTW, I don't hunt anymore. Best wishes this season.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I have had deer trot within three steps of me and never knew I was there. I hunt in jeans and whatever coat I have at the time. Just don't get anything that is close to brown or white. If you want to break up your outline get a large plaid, the first camo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast