Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: Insulating ducts in crawl space

I am kind of wondering the same thing in the house I live in they are just galvanized tin ducts and they sweat all summer in a/c season and let cold air in all winter bad way to distribute air imho.

And I probably need to do something to a rental we just bought also its 40 yo or so. I cant get in the crawlspace in it yet the hole in the floor is too small for my carcass to get thru but I will be curious what is the best way for cramped areas etc.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    And I probably need to do something to a rental we just bought also its 40 yo or so. I cant get in the crawlspace in it yet the hole in the floor is too small for my carcass to get thru but I will be curious what is the best way for cramped areas etc.
    Smaller people. I had the same issue with my crawl space. I guess the ground swelled over a 120 year period. The last company we called in had a smaller guy crawl under the house. Unfortunate, but I need to revist the insulation again.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Quote Originally Posted by riptides View Post
    Smaller people.
    yeah I agree! I am looking for a real small person that would actually know what they were looking at once they get down there like where can I cut a bigger hole haha! I think my 105 lb wife could squeeze thru but all she would see is dirt and boards and spiders haha.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Seal all the joints with mastic & insulate. That will stop the sweating
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    Seal all the joints with mastic & insulate. That will stop the sweating
    Sounds easy when ya say it fast! Nah I realize that would fix it just getting it done in a cramped space is a challenge in my house as well. That's why the spray foam someone mentioned is so intriguing but it must be a hazard to do in a crawlspace I can only imagine?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Hanomag

Sounds easy when ya say it fast! Nah I realize that would fix it just getting it done in a cramped space is a challenge in my house as well. That's why the spray foam someone mentioned is so intriguing but it must be a hazard to do in a crawlspace I can only imagine?
    Mummified homeowner discovered in crawlspace? Spiders are suspected of being the cause of death.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

We aren't allowed to do foam. Any material used on ducts has to be flame resistant
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Makes sense and it would also have to be hard on lungs just imagining.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

I haven't seen pictures but it may be easier to insulate the stub wall(skirting) around the home, than lay a vapour barrier on the ground and add pea gravel(buck shot) over top of the poly to protect it. Sealing the "easy" joints on the duct work would help also. Then the crawl space becomes somewhat of a conditioned space. Just a thought.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    I haven't seen pictures but it may be easier to insulate the stub wall(skirting) around the home, than lay a vapour barrier on the ground and add pea gravel(buck shot) over top of the poly to protect it. Sealing the "easy" joints on the duct work would help also. Then the crawl space becomes somewhat of a conditioned space. Just a thought.
    Ding, ding! Winner. My other part of the foundations, (old house, old house, plus new house), the new house, done right, is conditioned. And we did the insulation right, and I can actually crawl in there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast