Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...?

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #31  
Oatmeal every morning for years has gradually got my total cholesterol down to 168 as of last Monday and the hdl and ldl were both within normal parameters. Trigs still 250ish, however, going down. Ken Sweet

Next time you are scheduled for a 12 hour fasting blood draw be real good about not eating any mayo on or in anything and cut out all the sweets including diet sodas, for the week before the test, and see what your trigs are.

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #32  
yep.. i've heard that heavy starches and other things, even before the 12hr fast do make the #'s go up..

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #33  
Next time you are scheduled for a 12 hour fasting blood draw be real good about not eating any mayo on or in anything and cut out all the sweets including diet sodas, for the week before the test, and see what your trigs are.

Would that give me a true insight as to my actual eating habits as they relate to my blood draw? Ken Sweet

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #34  
yep.. i've heard that heavy starches and other things, even before the 12hr fast do make the #'s go up..

I read in a book by a Canadian biochemist that starches are difficult to digest because many are far more complicated in structure than a snow flake. And the starch has to touch an intestinal villi just to be split in one place, and nothing is absorbed during that touch, and there is no guarantee that a given touch will be in the right place on the villi or the starch molecule. And it has to be repeated over and over before much of anything can be digested (however once a piece is cleaved it can go on to touch independently from it's parent molecule.) In some of her concluding remarks for that section she said something like "I doubt very seriously any person can completely digest the starch in a potato."

Her book was called "The Vicious Cycle" and she said bacteria are more able to digest starch, but put out harmful byproducts that harm the intestine. And the intestine counters by trying to excrete a protective mucous, which make starch harder to digest, which feeds the bacteria more (the vicious cycle.)

She maintained that many people exhibiting mental problems are actually just being poisoned by the byproducts of bacterial digestion of starch.

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...?
Would that give me a true insight as to my actual eating habits as they relate to my blood draw? Ken Sweet

I know what you are saying Ken, I have wondered the same thing and have never prepared or dieted before a blood test since I want to know what my numbers are based on the lifestyle and eating habits I normally have...but...but..I do agree that as an example if you don't normally eat a loaded baked potato or some other crazy food then just be sure you don't pick the night before your blood test to eat that...or anything else that is not in your everyday diet..that is the way I do it...I just eat normally for the week leading up to my test ...nothing out of the norm either way....

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #36  

If the results of your trig test comes back in the normal range after not drinking soda, etc., it may tell you to consider changing your diet.