Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...?

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
See What you folks think of this article claiming saturated fats are not bad for us and do not raise our cholesterol....A friend of mine had cholesterol of over 300 and had a mild heart attack...he went on the Atkins diet and ate mainly meat, cheese and protein ...almost no carbs but plenty of saturated fats....His cholesterol came down to around 130 total....

Saturated Fat | Men's Health :confused2:

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #2  
After his heart attack his doctor probably put him on a very large dose of cholesterol lowering medication. It would be shocked if the diet got his number down to130 alone. Jmho
Dave

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #3  
My next door neighbor eat 2 sausage and biscuits every morning until he died at 100. The saturated fat finally got him. Ken Sweet

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #4  
Personally I dont believe any of the hype about man-made hydrogenated oils being better for you than natural fats like butter and non hydrogenated vegetable oils. I quit using artificial "butter" years ago and use the real thing. Recently I read an article that said basically that butter is better for you than any of the artificial stuff. Not overeating, lots of vegetables with a little meat and getting some exercise will lower your colesterol and your blood pressure as much as medicines and fad diets.

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #5  
After his heart attack his doctor probably put him on a very large dose of cholesterol lowering medication. It would be shocked if the diet got his number down to130 alone. Jmho
Dave

Depending on the causation of high cholesterol, is what needs to be considered in treatment. If your diet sucks then yes, eliminate a lot of that which isn't healthy. But, that is the big issue what is a "bad" diet. the government has long misguided us about what they pass as the "universal" diet. We all differ in calorie needs and the components of our diets.

Does high cholesterol immediatley warrant treatment- no it doesn't. It all depends on the breakdown of components. Eskimo's have been studied and found that their cholestero numbers in excess of 300- are not detrimental to their health.

If I follow a strict no carb, high protein diet, my cholesterol significantly lowers. With medication- it is dramatically lower. So, there is a very realistic possibility that his total number was lowered by that diet alone.

The government did a paralell study and found that for weight loss, there wasn't a significant difference between low fat or low carb approach. The same study also showed that Low carb was better at reducing overall cholesterol levels.

If anything, a the correlation to "man made" vs natural fats and heart disease is the issue. Since man made fats have hit the market- heart disease has increased.

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #6  
My grandmother died fairly young... late 70's in age. Grandfather lived to 101... was once asked if he cooked much as a bachlor, he said no but I fry alot... this was the days of hog lard.

mark

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #7  
every week they decide something that killed you last week is now fine, and that something that is fine now kills you.,

only in medicine and weather guessing can you be mostly wrong.. and / or find out you are wrong later.. and still be a highly paid and respected professional.

let one of the other physical sciences try that . :(

no wonder they call it a 'practice'

soundguy

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #8  
no wonder they call it a 'practice'

soundguy

I agree- i've been looking for some one accomplished at medicicne, haven't found one yet. I have seen enough morons with MD after their name to make me wonder sometimes.

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #9  
Well, we all can tell stories about people we know that ate lard three times a day and lived to be 100 (my wife's great grandma passed away two weeks ago at 100 and ate lard almost every day of her life until 4 years ago), but I'll bet we can all tell more stories about people that appeared healthy and keeled over dead from a heart attack long before that age due to undetected heart disease, clogged arteries, etc....

The bottom line is that each of us are different, and our bodies handle things digested by it differently. All things in moderation is usually a good approach, as is exercise and stress reduction. You can live healthy on McDonald's if you pick the right menu items.
;)

/ Health...Cholesterol....Saturated fats have never been proven to be bad for us...? #10  
<The bottom line is that each of us are different, and our bodies handle things digested by it differently. All things in moderation is usually a good approach, as is exercise and stress reduction. You can live healthy on McDonald's if you pick the right menu items. >

As my Doctor told me, "It's all about the Genetics". But then he's just practicing and guessing! .?? :(Or maybe he does know something???:thumbsup:

Anyone ever watched the video of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in a wind??