Deer hunting with iron sights.

/ Deer hunting with iron sights.
Here is an update to an old thread about my peep sight fetish. Deer season has been in for three weeks and I've only been a few times. Not seeing any decent bucks but this guy walked out Friday afternoon. I let him get to about 30 yards and put a round behind his ear. He want down like a sack of cement.

1385983_249876475164099_1368396657_n.jpg

As mentioned by others above, I find the peep sight almost impossible to use without glasses and still fairly difficult in the woods even with glasses. Everything needs to be just right. So I'm not sure I'll continue to hunt with the peep sight. We'll see.

Anyway, I walked out of the woods back to my cabin and was changing out of my hunting cloths when I looked out the front window and there was another black boar down in front. I grabbed the only gun at hand with a scope, the Remington 760 30-06 I've had since I was a kid. It has a 4x Leupold on it. I ran out onto the porch in my long johns, propped the gun against a porch post and yanked the heck out of the trigger. Fortunately the safety was on. I took a deep breath, took the safety off and squeezed off a shot. Hit him right between the eyes at 150 yards. I'm hardly a good shot and the 760 is not well known as a tack driver so it was pure luck. Anyway, interesting day with my 30-06's.

1393974_249876705164076_336198181_n.jpg

That third "pig" isn't a pig....its my "labrador retriever" Dash.

/ Deer hunting with iron sights. #103  
( As mentioned by others above, I find the peep sight almost impossible to use without glasses and still fairly difficult in the woods even with glasses. Everything needs to be just right. So I'm not sure I'll continue to hunt with the peep sight. We'll see. )

Just wait till the Golden Years!:D:(

/ Deer hunting with iron sights. #104  
Your Lab is very proud of you. (check out that adoring face). I always found the peep sight easy to use, but if you can't see well, get some glass on that thing man! Good work.!

James K0UA

/ Deer hunting with iron sights. #105  
Been playing around with peep sights for a few years. I have both Skinner and Lyman sights on some lever-action Marlins in pistol calibers and in 22LR. I prefer the Skinner sights. Forgot how much fun these guns can be.....and everyone likes to shoot these old lever-action "assault rifles".

My eyes are getting-on in age as well. If you focus your aim with the FRONT SIGHT on the target......the rear peep is almost automatic....and nearly forgotten about. We "ring" our 6" steel plates at 75 and 100 yards with 38 special target ammo.....and peep sights.

/ Deer hunting with iron sights. #106  
Been playing around with peep sights for a few years. I have both Skinner and Lyman sights on some lever-action Marlins in pistol calibers and in 22LR. I prefer the Skinner sights. Forgot how much fun these guns can be.....and everyone likes to shoot these old lever-action "assault rifles".

My eyes are getting-on in age as well. If you focus your aim with the FRONT SIGHT on the target......the rear peep is almost automatic....and nearly forgotten about. We "ring" our 6" steel plates at 75 and 100 yards with 38 special target ammo.....and peep sights.

Exactly, I never "see" the rear peep sight, I just see the front sight in clear focus, and the target in somewhat of a blurry focus.

/ Deer hunting with iron sights. #107  
Here's my marlin 1894SS in .44 mag with a Skinner peep sight. I usually remove the aperture and it becomes more of a "ghost ring" style. I really like the Skinner peep sight. I only wish it had a place to store the removed aperture. I think the Skinner model for the 1895 has a place to store the aperture.

I had Lasik on my shooting eye back in August to correct for nearsightedness. It'll be interesting to see if I can still shoot well with a peep sight. Like others have said, as long as I can see the front sight, it shouldn't be a problem.

IMG_0084[1].jpg