pan handler

/ pan handler #1  

itsmecindi

Gold Member
I was really surprised today to be approached in Walmart by a man asking for ninety nine cents. The way he went about it led me to believe that he had done it before, the way he began to step away when he saw the expression on my face, looking over my shoulder, lining up the next person to ask. It really ticked me off that he thought I was so stupid.

"Why ninety nine cents?" I asked. "If I give you a dollar are you going to hand me a penny? What is this, creative begging? How to make begging for a dollar sound like a good deal by making it ninety nine cents?" I still can't explain why but that made me furious.

The man appeared in good health, and while his clothes were dirty they were not in bad shape. Normally it doesn't bother me when someone asks me for money, I either give it to them or I don't but if I do, there needs to be some obvious reason that a job is not a possibility, and that can include anything from a handicap to obvious alcoholism, because I do view that as a disease.

But the guy with the ninety nine cents thing, really got under my skin, especailly since he was panhandling right in the store. I saw him hit a lot of other people (successfully, I might add) before he moved on to Wendy's and then went inside there and started up again.

I reported him to the manager, I was sitting in the drive-through and a moment later he was ushered outside. He gave me a dirty look and I gave him one right back. I like to think I am a fairly charitable person but when someone is creative enough to think up an elaborate marketing tool for begging, I'm inclined the think that they could use those talents to support themself.

/ pan handler #2  
Hey, I know how you feel.

My standard answer to the question "can you give me $$" is a plain and simple no. I say it nicely but have had people I am with comment "why did you say that?' Am I supposed to make something up like "I forgot my wallet" or "I don't have any change"? Why do I have to lie? I am not giving you money because I don't WANT TO not because I can't or don't have it. Why does evryone feel so guilty or intimidated and resort to stories ?

This is not to say on occasion I haven't helped someone out. I prefer to use the method my father taught me, when they ask for $$ for food offer to buy them it. Nothing works better the vast majority want the $$ for drugs and get angry, if not I buy them a coffee or whatever. 99% of the time they refuse and get mad because they realize you know the game. Either way you win you either help feed someone or you reveal their true motivations.

/ pan handler #3  
We had one stop at the volunteer fire station one night when we had drill. Down on his luck, was hungry, no place to stay, just needed a few dollars to get by on. I offered to have him sweep out the station bays for $10.00, not bad at the time, takes about 30 minutes = $20 per hour. He got offended that I'd offer him work and got a bit rude. Seems a handout was all he wanted. We see a lot of them by the freeway offramps. Sad situations, but there are numerous programs available if they really want help. If they want a handout they can go somewhere else. I've got 8 mouths to feed at home.

/ pan handler #4  
I once had someone walk up to me at the drive thru at Wendy's at 1 am. He asked for some money so he could get something to eat. I told him I would order him something and give it to him, but he declined and moved onto the next person.

/ pan handler #5  
Unfortunately, about 95% play the game. They don't want work or food, just money. I locked one up on one of Charlotte's busy street corners, had his sign and everything. He had $365.00 in his pocket. This was at 3 in the afternoon. He told me he made that money since 9 a.m.! Guess I need a job like that!!!

/ pan handler #6  
I locked one up on one of Charlotte's busy street corners, had his sign and everything. He had $365.00 in his pocket. This was at 3 in the afternoon. He told me he made that money since 9 a.m.! Guess I need a job like that!!!

Yeah, but taxes are going to eat him up, what with no dependents, no mortgage and no investments he's gonna get creamed!. See you're WAY better off then him. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now who's laughing, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ pan handler #8  
What a racket! $60 an hour for looking pitiful! I'm in the wrong bid'ness!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ pan handler #9  
Some news show did a bit on a fellow, in Sanfransico I believe, a while back. I think in the early 90's, he was begging in a worn out suit. They follwed him around the corner at the end of the day and he changed into a new suit and hopped in a fairly new corvette.
They got him to give an interview and he said he had lost his job and had never told the wife. turns out he could clear 50k+ a year on the street corner tax free why go back to work....

I have never been one to give out money, only the ocastional meal etc...as others have stated, but sence then I absolutely refuse.... JUST SAY NO....when it comes to beggers that will only take $$$.

/ pan handler #10  
In Boise, ID there was a lady that panhandled there for years. She was well known in the community as she had been there a long time doing it. The local news station did an expose on her. They found she had a condo in the nicest part of town, drove a two year old car, and lived very well. Their nearest figure was she was pulling down over a 100k a year all tax-free. When the IRS got involved they found out that she had over $420,000 in the bank!! Problem was they couldn't do a thing about it because it was all gifts.

Now the kicker. After the story ran things started drying up for her as people now knew her. They even had one of the local well to do businessmen that said he had given her $20/week for the last 5 years or so. Well she sued the newstation because they had destroyed her income. I'm not sure whatever became of the suit but what a deal.