Anyone tow a with 3.42 rear end

/ Anyone tow a with 3.42 rear end #1  

rel

I own a 1997 k1500 with 350 c.i. engine. It has a 3.42 gear ratio with a posi,trans and oil cooler.
Is there anyone here on TBN that has the same gear ratio? If so what are some of the biggest weight/loads that you have pulled and how did it handle it?

/ Anyone tow a with 3.42 rear end #2  
Rel
I don’t know if this will help you. I have a 2003 Astro van with the 3.42 axle. It will tow my 2910 with FEL and Backhoe with no problems. About 5000 Lbs total. I only tow short distances less than 50 miles. Here in Michigan we don’t have any mountains or very large hills. This setup works fine. If I lived in a mountainous or hilly area this would not be an acceptable towing package.
My son has a 1999 4X4 Chevy with the 3.42 axle. I don’t think it tows the same tractor-trailer as well as the Astro van. Must be the added weight of the pickup.
Your profile does not say where you live or the type of equipment you may want to tow. Add some information so others can help with your questions.

/ Anyone tow a with 3.42 rear end #3  
I can tow my car trailer with my Dakota V6 with 3.22 rear axle. I do it for short distances, all level. It's OK once I get moving - it's just a little slower at initial acceleration. Once you get it moving, the different tranny ratios will handle the differences. All bets are off if you have steep hills - it's inconvenient to have to go back to 2nd gear instead of 3rd for even small hills.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If we have to tow for any distance, I usually use the motor home with 454 engine and 4.30 rear end...although I did tow the car trailer with a Scirocco on it from Savannah to Central Florida (about 600 miles) with the Dakota...but the steepest hills were the interstate overpasses. I had to shift from 5th to 4th for the steepest ones on order to keep up the speed - about 70-75 MPH once we got rolling. But, it was not a comfortable trip...the truck was definitely working.