2013...Do or die for these four ???

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #11  
If they fall to the wayside a bigger entity will pop up in there place...

Until the anti trust activities of the government was stopped in the 1980's, the government resrticted the growth of companies like wallmart. Derugulation made companies like Sears into big, fat targets.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #12  
I can't say I am surprised about radioshack, I haven't gone there for years. They have changed a lot, not even sure if the sell electronic "parts" anymore. Used to be kind of a cool niche... where else could you go any buy small resistors or capacitors. It seems electronics is somewhat of a dying hobby. People love electronics more than ever, but most would rather go buy a iPad or something than tinker with an oscilloscope.

come to think of it... does anyone in these newer generations have ANY hobbies that doesn't involve texting or social media?

What would you hook a scope up to on these devices? Most are very small intergrated circuts. There really isn't much possibility of repair. Most techs working on industrial technology are basically remote screwdrivers - they replace parts until it works.

I should say that I find RS irratating. Last time I went there, I had somebody ask me 3 times if I wanted a new cellphone. They don't carry much stuff anymore, and most techy guys get stuff off the net.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #13  
What would you hook a scope up to on these devices? Most are very small intergrated circuts. There really isn't much possibility of repair. Most techs working on industrial technology are basically remote screwdrivers - they replace parts until it works.

I should say that I find RS irratating. Last time I went there, I had somebody ask me 3 times if I wanted a new cellphone. They don't carry much stuff anymore, and most techy guys get stuff off the net.

I wasn't referring to repair of these items. I was referring to the way the word "electronics" has changed a lot. In the past people into "electronics" were building radios and tinkering with robotics and the like. People that are into "electronics" now are people that have to have the newest gadget the day it comes out and they sit in lines overnight to be the first to get it. Radio Shack caters to the latter now, rather than the former. I guess I can't blame them if that's what the consumers are looking for.

As far as industrial techs go, I am one, and time is money. Our largest machine costs around $15,000 per hour of down time. Could I rebuild a VFD on the fly- no, but they wouldn't want me to anyway. They would rather give me $20k drive to change out in 30 minutes than play around trying to repair something for a couple hours, then send the old one out to get repaired.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #14  
Kinda suprise Home Depot not on the list.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #15  
These companies' problems have been building for years. Sears has a big image problem...they seem to want to transition to being a more female-centered store like Kohls, but don't want to/can't leave the profitable tools/appliances/hardware behind. Not many women want to walk past the lawnmowers to get to the lingerie or shoe dept.
Radio Shack and Best Buy have a well-deserved bad rep for lousy customer service. Both also have product lines (stereo equipment, DVDs/CDs, etc.) that are losing popularity, but don't really know where to go from there.
Penneys...not that familiar with other than from what I understand their new business model of "everyday low prices" is meeting with resistance from their customer base.

Of course, as others have noted on-line shopping has put a dent in retail in general.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #16  
I buy allot of stuff at Sears...I'll be sorry to see them go.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #17  
Looking at Sears, especially their tool line. Quality has really suffered, along with warranty. Used to be, if you bought a Craftsman ratchet, if it ever failed, it wold be replaced immediately. Nowadays, a new one is crap, and when (not if) it fails they'll either give you a rebld that's no better than the first one, or try to give you a rbld kit. Craftsman power tools used to be about as good as money could buy. Today, I wouldn't bother to carry one home.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #18  
The sears washer and dryer, the dishwasher, refrig, oven, range hood all purchased after we did the addition to the house in 1999... all still work fine. I have a weed whacker I bought in 1996 that I still use. I bought an electric chain saw a few years ago ..best $100. I ever spent I think. Oh and the vacuum ...it's got some cracks in the housing after must be going on 15 years now but it still does the job..on our place in ME now.

I like sears because ther stufff is consistantly good. Not always the cheapest but in my experience ..good.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ??? #19  
I won't be a bit surprised when Sears and Best Buy go away. Sears has been on a downward spiral for a long time.
Best Buy seems to employ two types of people.....unknowledgeable and incredibly obnoxious.
Is there even a reason for Radio Shack to exist anymore?

Thomas, Why would Home Depot be on the list? We don't have a local HD but I've been to 5 or 6 of their stores in other areas. Equal quality to what the other box stores have but far better service.

/ 2013...Do or die for these four ???
"Best Buy seems to employ two types of people.....unknowledgeable and incredibly obnoxious"

ROTFLMAO!

I dunno about Home Depot...we have one where I live its seems there more employees in the store than customers