Hot Peanuts

/ Hot Peanuts
Hot peanuts sold by street venders in the Philippines are shelled peanuts with lots of red hot peppers roasted within. Sold by venders for 10 pesos a bag, about 1/4 a handfull. A 600 peso order made a street venders week, probably doesn't sell that much a week. All inventory sold at one stop. At Victory Liner stops, the venders step on tour the bus selling and step off at the next stop. Goggle Victory Liner, its great story about good people. Jeepny is a good story too. I love the Philippines and I'm not Pinoy, but I'm balikhayan. I can travel anywhere in the Philippines on public transportation but I can't go to town here. Serve me with jury papers? How do I get there?

mark

/ Hot Peanuts #12  
I have never had the Phillipine variety. Boiled peanuts are commonplace in Georgia and North Florida - at least they used to be. I like them, but I have eaten some from roadside stands or fairs, where they were somewhat too salty for my tastes.

/ Hot Peanuts #13  
Being a GA boy we grow them and eat them anyway we can get them, but by far my favorite way is boiled. I boil them a bushel at the time and usually they are all gone within a few hours(family and friends). There's nothing like the smell or rumor of peanuts boiling in the shop to attract a crowd.

It's not uncommon for me to boil a bushel every weekend (special recipe) during the season.

/ Hot Peanuts #14  
My son and I have been rivals the past several months trying to see who could turn out the best tasting Boiled Peanut, ( Cajun style )
Not too Hot-n-spicy but yet spicy enough to keep you wanting more, We decide to try boiling our own after having paid 4.00 for the last small bag we got from a local, the price has went up 3 times in this year, started out @ 2.00 then 250 then 3.00 and now 4.00 for the same size serving of ( 1 lb. shared between 3 people) We can buy a 10 lb bag of raw from kroger for around 9.00 and serve over 30 people, no extra cost to cook them we have free wood at our disposal, and I grow my own peppers, however I do have to purchase the sauce, which is less than 1.00 ..... It takes about 7-8 hours to cook them, depending on their size to get them to the right softness/texture, I use about 1/2 cup sea-salt, and 5 large jalapeño peppers, along with 4 oz bottle of cayenne pepper sauce, I found that we need to not put the sauce and peppers in until the last hour of cooking, If when put in to early the spice from the sauce/pepper is evaporated out through the steam,
and I think is the problem many folks have when trying to prepare Cajun style hot boiled peanuts,
For many years now I've been trying to get the local guy who boils them to add some spice heat to some of them, although His atempts has failed, believe it is due to him tossing everything in at the begining and walking away, coming back only to stir them once and while,
My theory which after several experiment batches and later turned into a fact is to get the nut and it's shell soften so can absorb the added flavor, although the longer you let sit in its brine the more spicy the nut will become, so if their good to your taist when through cooking you might want to remove them from the brine/water, ;)
Oh yeah! I think mine turn out better then my sons do, of course I havn't told anyone my recipe but ya'll:D

Last edited:
   / Hot Peanuts #16  
I like the horseradish style hot peanuts never tried a boiled peanut or a Philippine hot peanut that I remember. I guess I figured the salted in the shell ones were boiled in salt water but what do I know?

/ Hot Peanuts #17  
I love boiled peanuts from the vendors in the country not canned....But do any of you remember the " Beer Nuts " came in a red package and were big in red skins with a sweet coating on them and salt...they were great...I have not seen them in stores in years....????

/ Hot Peanuts #18  
I love boiled peanuts from the vendors in the country not canned....But do any of you remember the " Beer Nuts " came in a red package and were big in red skins with a sweet coating on them and salt...they were great...I have not seen them in stores in years....????

Yep, I remember them...but didn't like the sweet coating. Haven't seen them in a long time either, matter of fact, a long, looooong time.

/ Hot Peanuts #19  
So you dont shell them first?

Nope, they are boiled in the shell. This makes it kinda fun and messy to get to the peanut. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The wifey bought some of the spicy canned peanuts by mistake. They were too hot for her but I did not think they were that bad though I prefer the regular.

Our youngest will go through phases of eating boiled peanuts and she can eat a couple cans a day. :confused3::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Hot Peanuts #20  
" So You don't shell them "
Naw! Though it would certainly speedup the cooking process, I'm afraid one would have to eat them like eating beens from a bowl,
and not much fun in that:cool: would be kinda like eating sun-flower seeds already shelled, which my wife likes to do, I'd rather get a mouth full crack-um ..... eat-um... & spit-um:thumbsup: ....................
Actually hard boild peanut are traditionally eating on the way to ball game's, car races, Mud Bogs etc,etc,:D same as roasted ( only more messy :licking: )