Hot Peanuts

/ Hot Peanuts #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
Love those Philippine hot peanuts, last year when we left, my wife bought about 600 pesos worth from a street vendor. Lasted about a week once we arrived back home, just don't rub your eye after eating a hand full. Friends arrived yesterday from a Christmas visit to the Philippines and are bring me more bags of hot peanuts. Almost worth the price of a round trip ticket just to eat those nuts and drink San Maguel beer.

"Aim High Olongapoe"

mark

/ Hot Peanuts #2  
Love those Philippine hot peanuts, last year when we left, my wife bought about 600 pesos worth from a street vendor. Lasted about a week once we arrived back home, just don't rub your eye after eating a hand full. Friends arrived yesterday from a Christmas visit to the Philippines and are bring me more bags of hot peanuts. Almost worth the price of a round trip ticket just to eat those nuts and drink San Maguel beer.

"Aim High Olongapoe"

mark

I've never eaten the Phillippine variety, but have enjoyed some of the local variety, grown over around Hydro, OK. Yes, keep your hands away from your eyes; as a matter of fact, any part of the body exhibiting mucous membranes...

/ Hot Peanuts #3  
I wondered how you kept them warm for over a week.

/ Hot Peanuts #5  
I've never eaten any from the Phillippines, but I'm a peanut addict; gotta have a quarter pound or so each day. I like dry roasted peanuts, cocktail peanuts, and mixed nuts, but perhaps my favorite is the Spanish Redskins. Lately, I've been disappointed in the ones I've gotten so now I've bought raw shelled peanuts and raw shelled pecans, and I'm roasting them myself, then adding butter and salt.

/ Hot Peanuts #6  
Peas, peas, peas, peas
Eating goober peas
Goodness, how delicious,
Eating goober peas.

Just before the battle, the General hears a row
He says "The Yanks are coming, I hear their rifles now."
He turns around in wonder, and what d'ya think he sees?
The Georgia Militia, eating goober peas.

Fresh boiled peanuts, yum yum yum! :licking::licking::licking:

I like roasted peanuts with no salt. Just plain. Most week days I eat a peanuts and dried fruits for lunch.

Later,
Dan

/ Hot Peanuts #7  
What is this about boiled peanuts? I've heard of it, but it didn't sound very appetizing to me. I just automatically put it in the same category as grits and Chickory. Do you boil them in the shell? Salt them afterwards? Just curious.

/ Hot Peanuts #8  
What is this about boiled peanuts? I've heard of it, but it didn't sound very appetizing to me. I just automatically put it in the same category as grits and Chickory. Do you boil them in the shell? Salt them afterwards? Just curious.

Boiled peanuts are simply raw peanuts boiled in salted water. I have never made them but the wife's family does. I remember one trip with my dad when we got the hankering for boiled peanuts in sough GA so we got off the interstate until we found a roadside stand selling them. :licking::licking::licking: We can buy boiled peanuts in cans at the grocery store though. When we travel to I95 we go the back roads and pass a couple of road side stands selling veggies and boiled peanuts.

Boiled peanuts are kinda messy to eat and they are very good with beer. :licking::licking::licking:

Later,
Dan

/ Hot Peanuts #9  

We have one Walmart in this area that now stocks Margaret Holmes boiled peanuts. They did have a big display on one end of a row and I bought one can of the regular and one can of barbecued. My wife only tasted one of the regular and spit it out. I actually ate one peanut from each can before throwing them in the garbage. I never knew anyone deliberately destroyed peanuts before.:laughing: And I don't think they sold very well here. Walmart pulled off the big display and now has just a few cans on one row.

Boiled peanuts are definitely not in the same category as grits and chickory because either of those are wonderful, even if you don't like them, compared to boiled peanuts that a little hard to eat without gagging.

Population is sure growing fast around here, but I guess we don't have as many immigrants from the southeast as Walmart thought we might have.:laughing:

/ Hot Peanuts #10  
anyone ever have smoked peanuts? I heard about them when looking at smokehouses.