DSLR camera recommendations

/ DSLR camera recommendations #21  
The wife jumped "all in" and got a smoking deal on a Nikon D5100 . We were playing around with it last night and it's pretty impressive. It'd take me years to ever figure out what all it can do.

Yep it sure will take years to figure out. I broke down an actually bought a book on the D800 to try to learn it's in and outs even though I have been seriously using SLR's and DSLR's for getting close to three decades. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am sure its a camera she can grow with and she'll be happy, now its lenses, software, tripods, remote shutter release, flash, filters, polarizers, back packs, and so on..... did I say Printer? I met to add that...congratulations, ya did good!

Don't scare him off! :D:D:D

I never bought a photo printer. Finding a good lab was a better fit for my usage. I have used Walmart though which had its advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages was that the prints could vary in quality but not as often as I was afraid. The advantages was cost and being able to send the photos to any Walmart. I have sent prints to the nearest store to family in other states so all they had to do was to go to the closest Walmart and pick up the prints. They would be at Wally World anyway and this saved time and postage to ship the photos. One time family was traveling, we found the closest Wally World and I printed the photos at that store for them to pick up. :thumbsup::laughing::laughing::laughing: Worked real well.

Later,
Dan

/ DSLR camera recommendations #22  
A friend of ours uses Costco a lot, then goes to a photo lab for highest quality. Have been surprised at the quality of the Costco stuff she has shown us.

I never bought a photo printer. Finding a good lab was a better fit for my usage. I have used Walmart though which had its advantages and disadvantages.

/ DSLR camera recommendations #23  
A friend of ours uses Costco a lot, then goes to a photo lab for highest quality. Have been surprised at the quality of the Costco stuff she has shown us.

I have heard people on photo related websites say the same thing about Costco. It is a good option if they are near by.

Later,
Dan

Later,
Dan

/ DSLR camera recommendations #24  
The wife jumped "all in" and got a smoking deal on a Nikon D5100 . We were playing around with it last night and it's pretty impressive. It'd take me years to ever figure out what all it can do.

Make sure she uses good quality film!

/ DSLR camera recommendations #26  
Be sure she explores the HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature. The pics come out with much better detail in the shadows plus the overall exposure improves. One of the best features that many newer cameras have, in my opinion. Best to use a tripod with that feature unless she has a pretty steady hand or some sort of rest.

For printing, I would buy a Canon Pixma that uses individual ink tanks, then buy the auto reset cartridges and ink bottles from OwlInk.com. For around $56 you can get many many refills for the price of one set of replacement ink cartridges at Best Buy or similar.

/ DSLR camera recommendations #27  
I wont write you a book but I see noone has mentioned Ken Rockwell yet. One of the best/most informational sites I've found. He really brings it down to a level even I can understand.

Oh, and I love my Nikons..

/ DSLR camera recommendations #28  

When people have asked me, I usually steer them in this direction whether it be Costco, Walmart or someplace else. The problem I've had with printing my own pictures is that invariably I don't deplete the ink supply before something fails due to lack of use. I wouldn't be surprised to find the inkjet printer I have at home (only because it does 11x17 paper) won't print quality when I next use it since I seldom print anything at home now.

/ DSLR camera recommendations #29  
As many have said, the Nikons and the Canons are the best in the SLR field and you won't go wrong with either choice.

For me, I owned Nikon almost exclusive but I found Canon to be ahead of the others when the digital age came about. Go for the IS lenses.

:2cents:

/ DSLR camera recommendations #30  
did not read all the replys.

get a *duh* just had camera last week. wireless memory card. were you do not have to keep removing the memory card and placing it in the computer. but instead just turn on camera. get on the computer and load up program, and let pictures wireless transmit onto the computer.

have had a few cameras the memory card metal legs that slide onto the memory card break. resulting in a dead broken camera. ((to many times memory card was removed and re-inserted)) and basically just wore the metal pieces out inside the camera.

there is a difference between "video camera" and "picture" camera in quality, video might be great on one but takes ugly pictures, and vice vs.

generally the camera manufactures have low grade, medium grade, and high grade camera, with basically the exact same camera, but more features and reliability in the higher grade camera for the given year.

honestly, the non DSLR cameras have came a long way. and let you manually set a large amount of settings through the menu. and still allow tripod, and different lens type hookups, and possibly a external flash.

DSLR cameras, are more likely to have lens and external flash options, that give a wider variety of equipment you can buy from. and more likely if camera breaks, allow you to switch over to a different DSLR camera. but still re-use everything else without much fuse, vs going with a non DSLR camera.

personally, like better zoom (non digital zoom), and being able to set various settings via buttons or controls on the camera vs flipping through menus on a camera. (makes things faster) and more likely able to get a shoot before something happens, that destroys the shoot wanted.

================
5 to 6 meg pixel camera, is good enough, if camera takes anything bigger. ya getting into poster size pictures. and not really useful at those size prints. digital printers also have a limit of how many pixels they can print, so i mean really, 5 to 6 meg pixels get ya in a descent size picture, without much fuss. by the time computer software gets a hold of a picture and everything else. if ya not happy with picture you just won't be happy with picture regardless of how many pixels used to make a picture.

=================
battery life *arghs* that is one annoying thing. i no longer remember specific types of batteries any more. but have a small battery, and then a larger battery. (small light weight battery, quick charge, and take with on the go, larger battery, for when ya know ya going to be using camera a lot, and need a backup, when smaller battery goes dead.

stay away from AA, triple A batteries or like batteries, the batteries will eat your savings account, by the time you pay for the more expensive double A or triple A batteries.

get a car charger, and wall charger for batteries. and if possible cord you can plug in to wall and run camera while waiting for batteries to re-charge.

==================
as far a what camera to get, everyone else gave "awesome" links for camera reviews. beyond that. before dropping a few hundred or a couple thousand dollars. get out and about and physically go look at different cameras. best buy, circuit city, heck even wal-mart. and actual camera stores that may be around you. some cameras for me personally seemed small and clumsy, while other cameras had a larger body that fit my hands better.

===================
for a camera bag, my mom, always seem to find some sort of leather bag, that has some sort of short fur feel on the inside, with a little bit of what seems like foam in between leather and fur. that main camera goes into, and then a small side pocket, for some cables, lens cleaner, extra memory card, and battery. the bag may not have nice cushy foam exactly made for camera. but it tends to lend itself to keep camera safe, and quick and easy removal, without dealing with annoy snaps, and locks. so that the camera bag can be placed in vehicle on floor board or behind a seat, for quick easy grab, vs having to deal with unlooking a toolbox like bag / carrying case o remove camera.

====================
memory cards, if you do not go with the wireless memory card (catch eye? or something EYE in the name of it for a memory card). see about a camera that uses larger memory card not in how much memory it has, but phsycial dimensions itself. so ya not pulling memory card out. and then saying a few words, trying to find it in thick carpet, or on the ground.