Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    8,010
    Location
    Shingle Springs California
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

    Default IPA and Blonde

    Brewed for first time in three years. Friend got a pound of Citra hops, so we put them to use. Did a 10 gallon all grain IPA, and a 10 gallon extract blonde ale. we split the two batches. Another buddy, did his own 10 gallon extract IPA.

    -2013-01-13_12-01-28_273-a-2013-01-13_12-02-29_899-a
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    8,010
    Location
    Shingle Springs California
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    The krausen fell on the IPA already. Time to move to secondary...
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

  3. #3
    Gold Member mvwicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    325
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Yum

    When is the tasting?

  4. #4
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,106
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    It's all Greek to me, but I bet it tastes good. It seems like a microbrew IPA is usually a good choice.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  5. #5
    Elite Member RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Location
    Florida
    Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    The krausen fell on the IPA already. Time to move to secondary...
    That doesn't sound good.
    What does it mean?
    Who is krausen and why did he fall on your beer?
    I would make him stay outside from now on.
    Life is like a dick, sometimes it becomes hard for no reason whatsoever.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. ― Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,106
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    That doesn't sound good.
    What does it mean?
    Who is krausen and why did he fall on your beer?
    I would make him stay outside from now on.
    He didn't say "Loose the Kraken!" You can sleep well.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    8,010
    Location
    Shingle Springs California
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    During primary fermentation, a foamy layer forms on top of the wort(unfinished beer). When that foamy layer(krausen) falls or dissolves, the main part of the fermentation process is done. It is mostly yeast, and proteins from the wort.
    Here is a basic explanation with a couple pictures.
    How to Brew - By John Palmer - Primary or Attenuative Phase

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    That doesn't sound good.
    What does it mean?
    Who is krausen and why did he fall on your beer?
    I would make him stay outside from now on.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

  8. #8
    Elite Member RobertBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Location
    Florida
    Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    During primary fermentation, a foamy layer forms on top of the wort(unfinished beer). When that foamy layer(krausen) falls or dissolves, the main part of the fermentation process is done. It is mostly yeast, and proteins from the wort.
    Here is a basic explanation with a couple pictures.
    How to Brew - By John Palmer - Primary or Attenuative Phase
    Thanks for that...very informative, although I will need a glossary to fully understand it. I have no experience with brewing but I have had some that was very good. It was a long time ago and it was stored or brewed in old glass quart (beer) bottles with stoppers when I poured it. You wanted to be careful to avoid the stuff in the bottom of the bottle, so leaving an inch or of beer in the bottom was smart.....sad.. but smart.
    After glancing at few chapters, brewing seems more complex than I had imagined. Sounds like it would be hard to get consistancy and it could pose a health risk.
    Are you going to fement it twice?
    Why did you stop for three years?
    How long before you are enjoying a chilled glass?
    Life is like a dick, sometimes it becomes hard for no reason whatsoever.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. ― Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    10,087
    Location
    Triangle Of North Carolina
    Tractor
    JD 4700

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    Thanks for that...very informative, although I will need a glossary to fully understand it. I have no experience with brewing but I have had some that was very good. It was a long time ago and it was stored or brewed in old glass quart (beer) bottles with stoppers when I poured it. You wanted to be careful to avoid the stuff in the bottom of the bottle, so leaving an inch or of beer in the bottom was smart.....sad.. but smart.
    After glancing at few chapters, brewing seems more complex than I had imagined. Sounds like it would be hard to get consistancy and it could pose a health risk.
    Are you going to fement it twice?
    Why did you stop for three years?
    How long before you are enjoying a chilled glass?
    I don't know why home brew would be a health risk other than drinking the yeast in the bottle which can lead to rather explosive events.

    I just ferment in a five gallon plastic bucket for 3-4 weeks. Most of the fermentation is done within 5-7 days though. After 3-4 weeks I bottle the beer and one week later I drink. After one week, there should the beer should be carbonated. Basically 4-5 weeks from brewing to glass.

    Funny thing is that I saw a note on a local mailing list this morning that our community college is having beer making classes.

    Making beer is not hard but you can get a bit worried about contamination which is really easy to avoid. Palmer's book is excellent but one really only needs to read a few chapters to start. His book gets real helpful as one brews more and more. There are quite a few videos on YouTube about brewing. There is on Canadian brewing in his basement with quite a few videos. After watching what this guy was doing I figured if he could to it without making bad beer so could I.

    Later,
    Dan

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    8,010
    Location
    Shingle Springs California
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

    Default Re: IPA and Blonde

    Beer can range from easy to very involved. Beginning to intermediate brewing on the stovetop is fairly simple. I've found the ingredients are pretty consistant. The big variable for most home brewers is temperature; that can affect batch to batch convsistancy. Some folks put a special thermostat on refridgerators to get the specific temps they want.

    Health risk is weight gain...

    Both of these beers will go in a secondary fermentor tomorrow eve.

    I brew a few times, get busy, brew and wonder why I took so long between batches, get busy/distracted...

    probably another 4-6 weeks to the glass. Will age it in kegs(I put the beer in 5 gallon soda "Corny" or "Cornielius"(sp?) kegs)

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBrown View Post
    After glancing at few chapters, brewing seems more complex than I had imagined. Sounds like it would be hard to get consistancy and it could pose a health risk.
    Are you going to fement it twice?
    Why did you stop for three years?
    How long before you are enjoying a chilled glass?
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Grapple "Blonde moment"...forgot to unhook hoses on grapple!!!
    By markmc in forum Attachments
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 09:23 AM
  2. Cute Blonde Joke
    By Jeff396 in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.