Smart phone decisions..

/ Smart phone decisions.. #22  
iPhone 5 here and love it, wife loves hers as well.

Sold my 2 yo iphone4 for what I paid for it same day I posted on CL. Expect to do the same next year when current contract is up and I upgrade.
Anyone ever notice that once your contract is up, there is no reduction in payment?

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Smart phone decisions.. #23  
We bought Samsung Galaxy S phones a few years ago when we finally moved up to smartphones. We found a really good deal on NewEgg that had the phones for $50 or some super low price. Funny, I can remember that Amazon had the phones for $200, then the price dropped to maybe $150 but NewEgg was even lower.

One pays a premium for Apple products which I do not find worth the price. I bought a Apple II+ way back in the day because it had great price for the performance. I have not seen that in Apple products since then.

The newer Galaxy phones look really nice but we have no need to upgrade.

If you are not in a hurry, shop around and look for prices. We saved a bunch of money finding the phones on sale at NewEgg. I don't think it really matters which of the three phones you get functionality wise. They are all good. Really gets down to how much they cost.

A skin is the user interface running on top of the phone's operating system.

Later,
Dan

/ Smart phone decisions.. #24  
As for price:

If I pay $200 for my iPhone, you pay $50 for your android and we both pay the same 2 year contract and I sell mine for $200 and you can't get $50 for yours, who paid the premium price?

I have a bagful of Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, that are useless. My original, 2007 iPhone no longer makes calls, but functions nicely as music player (iPod) when needed.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #25  
As for price:

If I pay $200 for my iPhone, you pay $50 for your android and we both pay the same 2 year contract and I sell mine for $200 and you can't get $50 for yours, who paid the premium price?

I have a bagful of Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, that are useless. My original, 2007 iPhone no longer makes calls, but functions nicely as music player (iPod) when needed.

IMO Apple products including the Iphone are like Deere products...you pay a premium for the name. And I have found the Apple owners to be fiercely loyal to the brand, unlike the majority of electronic gizmo owners. I have no doubt that Apple products on the used market command high prices, and although I could decry the loyalty, I also am a John Deere owner who is fiercely loyal to the brand so I am going to get down off my soapbox, sit down, and shut up. :laughing:

/ Smart phone decisions.. #26  
I agree with you, JDgreen, on both counts, and don't think there is anything wrong with loyalty to what works for you.

Sodano - in general, you're right... but not when comparing top end phones. My s2 has held value just as well (actually a little better) than my wife's similar age iphone. One website I checked was offering $188 for hers and $191 for mine. There are tons of cheapo phones that are worthless within months that pull the avg resale value on the non-apple group down, but the phones that compete with apple do quite well... and all of the ones the OP is considering should do just fine.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #28  
I had an iPhone 4 32Gb for 2 years, sold it for $220. Bought a new iPhone 5 for $300 so basically I got 2 years use out of my iPhone 4 for $80. The iPhone 5 is great for me, way faster than the 4. If I take reasonable care of it and get it unlocked, something that couldn't be done with my iPhone 4 because it was a CDMA only phone, I should be able to get darn close to what I paid for the iPhone 5 in about 2 years when I get ready to upgrade. Unlocked phones are more sought after. For me, a Mac person, everything just clicks with the iPhone. I can sync it with my iMac using iTunes or do a wireless sync, my Calendar and Contacts are kept up to date on both the iMac, iPad and iPhone. Any kind of App we need is available, TeeJet sprayer application App, Weed ID Apps, etc.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #29  
As for price:

I can get at least $50 for my phone on EBay but I have no reason to sell it. I paid $50 and you paid $200 for the same functionality which is a $150 premium for an Apple product.

Later,
Dan

/ Smart phone decisions.. #30  
I can get at least $50 for my phone on EBay but I have no reason to sell it. I paid $50 and you paid $200 for the same functionality which is a $150 premium for an Apple product.

Later,
Dan

Well stated....I got my Droid Razr Maxx for free but I have never seen my carrier (Verizon) selling any Iphone for free....