Smart phone decisions..

/ Smart phone decisions.. #31  
Does anyone have a military spec. impact resistant/waterproof smart phone? Similar to the conventional cellphones like the Casio Gzone etc. I keep remembering that I went through a conventional cellphone about every 6 months until I went to a Casio Gzone.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #32  
It depends on what you are used to. I have a mac, i-pad and an i-phone as well as a PC. When I was shopping for a tablet I looked at the android product but because I was so used to apple products the user interface just frustrated me. I recently changed carriers because my iphone on AT&T did not work where I needed it to. My Iphone 5 on Verizon works great. My only "complaint" is that the V is a smidge taller so it doesn't fit in holders with a strap ie my purse. Your wife might have a problem with that more than you. ;)

/ Smart phone decisions.. #34  
My wife and I are upgrading to smartphones in February when we are eligible for our Verizon upgrade.

I am consider the following phones and wanted to get input from anyone about the pro's and con's of each

1) Motorola Razr Maxx (same as the razr but with a bigger battery)

2) Samsung Galaxy S3

3) Iphone 5

I am really leaning toward the Razr Maxx due to the longer battery life - but still open.. We are Mac/Apple users, but there is an app for Android phones that allow you to load your iTunes onto the droid phone.

Thoughts. Suggestions

Brian

I just upgraded my phone and my two daughters' phones to smartphones. I am not a tech-guy by any means, but my teenage girls are pretty savvy. Long story short is that after all of my research, I wanted to go android and the girls wanted the Iphone 4. I was so impressed with their Iphones that I returned my android phone within a week and Daddy got himself the Iphone 5. The phone is all I hoped for and more. The battery life is excellent. I can go two days without having to charge wheras the LG Lucid I had would not even last a day. Bottom line for me is that the Iphone is significantly more user friendly. Good luck and enjoy whichever way you go!!

/ Smart phone decisions.. #35  
iPhone 5 here and love it, wife loves hers as well.

Sold my 2 yo iphone4 for what I paid for it same day I posted on CL. Expect to do the same next year when current contract is up and I upgrade.
Anyone ever notice that once your contract is up, there is no reduction in payment?

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Same story here. I now have 10 iPhones on my account. I have always been able to sell my used iPhones on eBay for what I paid for them. Resale value is the best. Stable operating system. I haven't rebooted my iphone 5 for months.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #36  
Just to be clear, when people say that I sold a phone for what I paid for it, in general this is a misconception. You have to understand that you paid full price for the phone (which is $550 to $700 for I-Phones), but it was subsidized with your contract. I am running a android Samsung Galaxy Exibit, that I bought straight out for $200. I could sell the phone for $100 to $120 a year+ latter, but it does everything I need so why sell. I pay $60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and web with 2gig and T-mobiles 4G. This setup saves substantial money over contracts, and I can leave them whenever I want.
The BEST deal for a GSM phone is the NEXUS 4, https://play.google.com/store/devic...wNV9uZXh1c1VTXzFfcHJvbW9fMTM1Nzg3NDcyMjEzNSJd
It compares with all of the phones we have been talking about, and is $299 to start and you own it out right!
Dave

/ Smart phone decisions.. #37  
Just to be clear...

I $200 paid for my iPhone 4. I paid ATT the same monthly for my unsubsidized original iPhone, the 2 year iphone4 contract, and the months immediately after the contract, and the new iPhone 5 contract. I sold the iPhone 4 after contract for $200 (no commission, shipping fee, nada). So I did sell it for what I paid for it. The fact ATT paid a subsidy did not lower my bill when they didn't pay one. No misconception here, just the facts.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Smart phone decisions.. #38  
Just to be clear, when people say that I sold a phone for what I paid for it, in general this is a misconception. You have to understand that you paid full price for the phone (which is $550 to $700 for I-Phones), but it was subsidized with your contract. I am running a android Samsung Galaxy Exibit, that I bought straight out for $200. I could sell the phone for $100 to $120 a year+ latter, but it does everything I need so why sell. I pay $60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and web with 2gig and T-mobiles 4G. This setup saves substantial money over contracts, and I can leave them whenever I want.
The BEST deal for a GSM phone is the NEXUS 4, https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb&feature=device-featured#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwMiwibnVsbC13ZWJfaG9tZV81MDAwMDA1X25leHVzVVNfZGV2aWNlc19VU19fNTAwMDAwNV9uZXh1c1VTXzFfcHJvbW9fMTM1Nzg3NDcyMjEzNSJd
It compares with all of the phones we have been talking about, and is $299 to start and you own it out right!
Dave

I doubt your Samsung galaxy wi be worth the $100 dollars in a year but if it is, you lost $100 in that time period. My iPhones have never cost me a dime and I get the latest model every two years. I am an AT&T customer my monthly bill is about $550 taxes included for 10 iPhones that share 15 gig, unlimited talk and text. Your option appears to be more expensive. Granted, I saving with the maxed out share plan but before this, my monthly bill was equivalent to yours.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #39  
Hey Gang, I am not meaning to be confrontational or anything. I am merely stating that most places besides the U.S. and maybe Canada have pay as pay as you go as the standard. You purchase your phones up front and then you can go where ever you want whenever you want. There are no contracts or late fees. I moved away from a contract in October of 2011, and I will never go back. In general, a contract plan will cost substantially more in the long run. This has nothing to do with android, I-phone. I am just pointing this out.
One of the largest growing segments of the cell phone market here in the US is the no contract market, or bring your own device. Many of the new devices have the ability to move from network to network. Even moving from CDMA to GSM, The manufactures now have chips that can do either and make the same model phone for all carriers. The I-Phone 5 is built with both and I believe the S3 is too.
Dave

/ Smart phone decisions.. #40  
If you sell a phone for $200 when your contract is up (so after 2 years) you did not sell it for what you purchased it. Your phone was subsidized the whole time your contract was in place, so you paid list price. Pretty much any model I-Phone has been $500 to $700 when newly released, this is spread out over your contract. On top of that, if you carry on after your contract is done, you are really getting bent over. Again this is a great big misconception/marketing scheme.
Dave