Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88
  1. #41
    Elite Member timswi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,894
    Location
    Beaver County Pa
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    Galaxy S3....Love it.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

  2. #42
    Gold Member BuzzardA91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    356
    Location
    West Granby CT
    Tractor
    JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    I have had them all, iPhone hands down. Unless you really need access to the operating system you can't go wrong with iPhone. Easiest to use by far. Never locks up. Problem free.

  3. #43
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,279
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OKnewguy View Post
    If you sell a phone for $200 when your contract is up (so after 2 years) you did not sell it for what you purchased it. Your phone was subsidized the whole time your contract was in place, so you paid list price. Pretty much any model I-Phone has been $500 to $700 when newly released, this is spread out over your contract. On top of that, if you carry on after your contract is done, you are really getting bent over. Again this is a great big misconception/marketing scheme.
    Dave
    I understand that the phone cost is subsidized. This would not work for someone who didn't want to commit to a two year contract but I have owned a cell phone for 20 years and don't plan on quitting now. I have to have a service provider so why not let them subsidize it? You are missing out on not having yours subsidized because you are paying equivalent monthly bills as us on a contract and using a lower cost phone. I earlier mentioned swapping phones every two years but it is more like every 18 months because AT&T has earlier upgrades for customers with multiple smart phones.

  4. #44
    Veteran Member kiotiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,101
    Location
    Dunrobin, Ont
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    Quote Originally Posted by OKnewguy View Post
    Hey Gang, I am not meaning to be confrontational or anything. I am merely stating that most places besides the U.S. and maybe Canada have pay as pay as you go as the standard. You purchase your phones up front and then you can go where ever you want whenever you want. There are no contracts or late fees. I moved away from a contract in October of 2011, and I will never go back. In general, a contract plan will cost substantially more in the long run. This has nothing to do with android, I-phone. I am just pointing this out.
    One of the largest growing segments of the cell phone market here in the US is the no contract market, or bring your own device. Many of the new devices have the ability to move from network to network. Even moving from CDMA to GSM, The manufactures now have chips that can do either and make the same model phone for all carriers. The I-Phone 5 is built with both and I believe the S3 is too.
    Dave
    You're absolutely right. I've been with my provider since 1998 and have never had a contract. As a result, I've been able to negotiate a spectacular rate. The days of contracts are quickly coming to an end, and that's a great thing. Up here in "socialist" Canada, the govt. of many Provinces have capped cancellation fees, and as a result, there are fewer and fewer companies requiring a contract. Canadians are still blessed with the highest cell rates in the world, something I'm hoping changes with the death of contracts.

  5. #45
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,279
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post

    You're absolutely right. I've been with my provider since 1998 and have never had a contract. As a result, I've been able to negotiate a spectacular rate. The days of contracts are quickly coming to an end, and that's a great thing. Up here in "socialist" Canada, the govt. of many Provinces have capped cancellation fees, and as a result, there are fewer and fewer companies requiring a contract. Canadians are still blessed with the highest cell rates in the world, something I'm hoping changes with the death of contracts.
    I don't see this happening south of you on the US. I doubt Apple or Samsung would allow carriers to discontinue the subsidy because these phones are getting more complex and staying very expensive. I could be wrong but I think the contracts allow the carriers to reduce the price of the plans because they know you are a captive customer for two years. Fortunately both are offered because obviously there is a need for both styles of doing business.

  6. #46
    Veteran Member kiotiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,101
    Location
    Dunrobin, Ont
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    Quote Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
    I don't see this happening south of you on the US. I doubt Apple or Samsung would allow carriers to discontinue the subsidy because these phones are getting more complex and staying very expensive. I could be wrong but I think the contracts allow the carriers to reduce the price of the plans because they know you are a captive customer for two years. Fortunately both are offered because obviously there is a need for both styles of doing business.
    I just bought my wife a new Samsung Galaxy Ace II-x. The phone was just release and is a very good phone (hardware wise) and runs Android ICS. It was $250 to buy it out or $250 on the "tab" with $0 down. To me, that's a very decent price and shows that we don't need a subsidy on phones. The tab system also seems to accomplish the same thing as contracts used to and is a system that makes sense and is more fair IMO. For those who don't know, every month you keep the phone, a certain amount is taken off the tab so that after 2 or 3 years, you don't owe anything and the phone is essentially free. If you leave before the time is up, you pay whatever is left on the tab.

    Because only Apple makes phones with iOS, you are stuck buying from them and they are able to keep the prices higher. Because Android is licensed freely, many different manufactures can use it on various hardware platforms. This creates competition and prices come down. This works as long as the value of the phone isn't hidden in the price of the contract. With a contract, you're not getting a subsidy on the phone, you're paying higher rates and you're locked into those rates for a long time. There are also very few people who keep their phone for 3 years and there are plenty of phones lost or stolen. Those replacements are at the full pop (and inflated) price.

    My previous new phone wasn't a smart phone and Telus wanted $199 for it, or $0 with a 3 yr contract. I bought the EXACT same phone from Future Shop (think Best Buy) as a pay as you go phone for $69. I called up Telus and had it activated as you would with any other phone. By telling you the phone you want is worth $700, they are trying to steer you to a contract and high monthly fees. Now that contracts are disapearing here, phones seem to be a lot cheaper.

  7. #47
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,279
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post

    I just bought my wife a new Samsung Galaxy Ace II-x. The phone was just release and is a very good phone (hardware wise) and runs Android ICS. It was $250 to buy it out or $250 on the "tab" with $0 down. To me, that's a very decent price and shows that we don't need a subsidy on phones. The tab system also seems to accomplish the same thing as contracts used to and is a system that makes sense and is more fair IMO. For those who don't know, every month you keep the phone, a certain amount is taken off the tab so that after 2 or 3 years, you don't owe anything and the phone is essentially free. If you leave before the time is up, you pay whatever is left on the tab.

    Because only Apple makes phones with iOS, you are stuck buying from them and they are able to keep the prices higher. Because Android is licensed freely, many different manufactures can use it on various hardware platforms. This creates competition and prices come down. This works as long as the value of the phone isn't hidden in the price of the contract. With a contract, you're not getting a subsidy on the phone, you're paying higher rates and you're locked into those rates for a long time. There are also very few people who keep their phone for 3 years and there are plenty of phones lost or stolen. Those replacements are at the full pop (and inflated) price.

    My previous new phone wasn't a smart phone and Telus wanted $199 for it, or $0 with a 3 yr contract. I bought the EXACT same phone from Future Shop (think Best Buy) as a pay as you go phone for $69. I called up Telus and had it activated as you would with any other phone. By telling you the phone you want is worth $700, they are trying to steer you to a contract and high monthly fees. Now that contracts are disapearing here, phones seem to be a lot cheaper.
    You obviously are a Samsung fan and I know they make great phones. Realize though that samsung has phones like the galaxy 3 ($750) that cost more than the iPhone 5. Apple is not inflating their equipment due lack of competition. Samsung is their competition. These phones are like computers. The quicker processors, better screens, cameras, etc all add to the cost. There are cheap computers that get great reviews just like expensive computers getting great reviews yet the two are still not compatible because of the capabilities between the two.

    iPhone 4's are now free, 4s are $50, and iPhone 5 are now $150 with contract. 3 years to pay off a $250 phone doesn't sound that great to me. My son wants to try an android next so we will be entering that market as well next this summer.

  8. #48
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    50
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Tractor
    New Holland TC34DA

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    My wife and I are upgrading to smartphones in February when we are eligible for our Verizon upgrade.

    I am consider the following phones and wanted to get input from anyone about the pro's and con's of each

    1) Motorola Razr Maxx (same as the razr but with a bigger battery)

    2) Samsung Galaxy S3

    3) Iphone 5


    I am really leaning toward the Razr Maxx due to the longer battery life - but still open.. We are Mac/Apple users, but there is an app for Android phones that allow you to load your iTunes onto the droid phone.

    Thoughts. Suggestions

    Brian
    I own a Verizon Store... With that said... If you go android, dont go with a cheap one. Constantly people come in and say "my phone is full, I cant get any more texts, or take pictures." The Phone has plenty of storage, but the memory the phone uses to store the cache is limited and you have this problem because you went with a cheap phone.

    Personally I would never own an apple product, they are a great product, just not for me. Most people who buy Iphones do it because thats what Mr. and Mrs. Jones have. Or "my friend Sally has one and she likes it." You are "stuck" with the phone for 2 years, buy one for you, not your friend or to keep with the Jones's. I often refer to people buying Iphones for the reasons above, the "John Deere" affect. You are paying for the name, yes its a good product, but it is not for everyone. I hate having to buy accessories that work only on one device. If you have other apple products, then getting the Iphone makes more sense.

    I like HTC's. Their skin they use(sense) is really nice. Their camera, while the same MegaPixel as others, take clearer pictures. They don't seem to bog down. I would suggest the HTC DNA. After that the S3 or the Note2. After that, I would look at a Galaxy Nexus or HTC Rezound(which I currently have) if you can find them, they are older but still great phones. The Motorola's are nice, but not on my top 5. I like to be able to take my battery out... the razr's you can't.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member kiotiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,101
    Location
    Dunrobin, Ont
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    Quote Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
    You obviously are a Samsung fan and I know they make great phones. Realize though that samsung has phones like the galaxy 3 ($750) that cost more than the iPhone 5. Apple is not inflating their equipment due lack of competition. Samsung is their competition. These phones are like computers. The quicker processors, better screens, cameras, etc all add to the cost. There are cheap computers that get great reviews just like expensive computers getting great reviews yet the two are still not compatible because of the capabilities between the two.

    iPhone 4's are now free, 4s are $50, and iPhone 5 are now $150 with contract. 3 years to pay off a $250 phone doesn't sound that great to me. My son wants to try an android next so we will be entering that market as well next this summer.
    Nope, not a Samsung fan (although I like them), I have a Motorola Atrix. I am an Android fan though. The difference between a Samsung phone at $750 and an iPhone 5 at $750 is that the Samsung will quickly come down in price as competitors bring out new phones and the iPhone won't, because there's not as much pressure to do so. The Samsung Galaxy S III for instance is now down to $650 with my provider, while a 16GB iPhone 5 is still $799. The iPhone was released long before the new S III. As far as them being competition goes, there may be some truth to that, but most people either stick with iOS or Android, I don't think many people go back and forth.

    As for 2 years to pay off $250, that's not the point. The point is there's no contract and the cost of the phone is now much lower. The Galaxy Ace II-x I bought my wife is a very nice, just released phone and $250 isn't a huge investment. I attribute the lower prices on the hardware to the end of contracts and the capping of cancellation fees.

  10. #50
    Super Member JDgreen227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7,745
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

    Default Re: Smart phone decisions..

    TeamNH---what you say about the Razrs having a non-removable battery: Is that REALLY such a big deal for a smartphone? My 4 1/2 year old BB Curve 8330 STILL had the OEM battery when it was 4 1/2 years old, and in all that time I probably pulled the battery to perform a hard reset twice a year. Since you are in the business, will you please give us your viewpoints as regards the expected battery life we can expect from our smartphones? BTW, I agree with you 100% about buying a high end Android. With the rapid development in the marketplace today, buying a basic phone will assure the buyer will need to upgrade much sooner. Good point !!
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

    I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying Advice Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help)
    By BigHutch in forum Massey Ferguson Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM
  2. Ap question for smart phone
    By Sigarms in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 01:57 AM
  3. Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone
    By Gale Hawkins in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
  4. Decisions decisions 2042, 2544, 1554???
    By stopgo in forum Cub Cadet L&G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
  5. B7800 B2910 or L3130 Decisions Decisions
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.