Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee)

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I confess to having an abundance of tools... I like to buy quality and figure the cost is justifiable because I'm the one doing the work.

My major Brands are Milwaukee Skill and Bosch...

Many years ago, Milwaukee had a recall and the 4 tools I owned were upgraded while I waited.

4 years ago I bought a Spartan 700 handheld cable drain snake with a milwaukee power head... at $565 out the door.

Drain Cable Model 700 | Spartan Tool

Used it about half a dozen times and it quit working... turns out that model Milwaukee had problems with the power trigger switch and was discontinued.

Went to my local service center and was told it would be 5 to 6 weeks before they could confirm the problem and if is is the switch... I might just be out of luck... Called two other service centers and was told 5 to 6 weeks.

Is this just a Milwaukee thing or has the service part of customer service disappeared?

Also called Spartan and they said there is nothing they can do since the power head is no longer supported by Milwaukee.

I like to buy American and expect readily available parts and service.

The new Milwaukee 1/2" magnum drill comes with a 5 year warranty and costs about $120 and it is now used on the new Spartan 700 machines... the new drill is not compatible with the old style drum

I'm wondering if service and support has slipped across the board?

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #2  
No offense, but this is why I only buy makita tools. If you are in the trades, and use your own tools, I feel they are the best. I have
makita tools 30 years old. Service can be tricky, but I have found parts easily on line. The old American brands have fallen by the wayside...

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee)
I forgot to mention I also have a few Makita tools from the 1980's and they have been problem free...

The Milwaukee that I am having trouble with is Made in Usa... the same model number with changes is now made in China and the parts are not interchangeable.

The Spartan line of drain tools is supposed to be top line... all the pros use them around here... it really came as a surprise there was nothing they can do for me... this is from my sales guy, the regional manager and the factory customer service...

In the scheme of things... it is a minor inconvenience.

I really don't know how anyone would or could find 5 to 6 weeks lead time for a factory service center to take a look... or the $100 an hour time quote I qot from Spartan to evaluate it.

I also have a few Dewalts... I can only get batteries aftermarket since they no longer support the one I have.

Maybe, I'm just getting old... you can't miss something or reminisce if you never had or experienced it to begin with.

I guess a lot of today's tools will not be the family hand-me-downs like in the past...

I still have my Grandfather's Skill Saw that was his his pride and joy and my Fathers Scroll Saw...

I did come up with a work around for my drain cleaner.

I made up a mandrel from a 3/8-24 bolt and now the cable drum can be used with any heavy duty 1/2" drill... so I'm back in business... all be it my modification added several inches to the machines total length...

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #4  
I don't think this was planned obsolescence. But rather just a case of a company using parts from another to produce a product then their partnership fell apart and they quit servicing the remaining products.

I hit your link and it looks like they still sell the drain auger you complain about. Is that the one that you ave? They still selling it even though they cannot service the head if it goes out? For $445 I'd be a sore customer if I got stuck with a POS like that.

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #5  
I confess to having an abundance of tools... I like to buy quality and figure the cost is justifiable because I'm the one doing the work.

My major Brands are Milwaukee Skill and Bosch...

Many years ago, Milwaukee had a recall and the 4 tools I owned were upgraded while I waited.

4 years ago I bought a Spartan 700 handheld cable drain snake with a milwaukee power head... at $565 out the door.

Drain Cable Model 700 | Spartan Tool

Used it about half a dozen times and it quit working... turns out that model Milwaukee had problems with the power trigger switch and was discontinued.

Went to my local service center and was told it would be 5 to 6 weeks before they could confirm the problem and if is is the switch... I might just be out of luck... Called two other service centers and was told 5 to 6 weeks.

Is this just a Milwaukee thing or has the service part of customer service disappeared?

Also called Spartan and they said there is nothing they can do since the power head is no longer supported by Milwaukee.

I like to buy American and expect readily available parts and service.

The new Milwaukee 1/2" magnum drill comes with a 5 year warranty and costs about $120 and it is now used on the new Spartan 700 machines... the new drill is not compatible with the old style drum

I'm wondering if service and support has slipped across the board?

The switch is such a simple fix ?? why take it somewhere fix it yourself.. :confused: Parts you can get all over the net..

Yes it is the same part number... only the Milwaukee power head has been changed.

Even though it all looks very similar... the aluminum drum and the drive are not interchangeable.

My rant is when I pay $565 for a tool with the promise we service what we sell... I don't expect to hear there is nothing we can do for you a couple of years later. The $565 price includes the cost of the cable.

Customer Service told me they had a lot of problems with the model version I have... the switch just doesn't hold up and now it is obselete and they have no source for one... she also said the replacements just don't hold up either and this is why the entire power head was redesigned and is now made in China.

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #7  
Yes it is the same part number... only the Milwaukee power head has been changed.

Even though it all looks very similar... the aluminum drum and the drive are not interchangeable.

My rant is when I pay $565 for a tool with the promise we service what we sell... I don't expect to hear there is nothing we can do for you a couple of years later. The $565 price includes the cost of the cable.

Customer Service told me they had a lot of problems with the model version I have... the switch just doesn't hold up and now it is obselete and they have no source for one... she also said the replacements just don't hold up either and this is why the entire power head was redesigned and is now made in China.

I'm surprised that if that was a Milwaukee tool that they wouldn't do something for you. Now, that other company, I don't know.

Might have to try it once... my understanding is the switch is a constant source of trouble and this is why they changed the design 100%.

There was a time when manufacturers would redesign parts to overcome short comings instead of just leaving customers between a rock and a hard place.

/ Portable Power Tool warranty and service (Milwaukee) #9  
My 20 y.o. hole shooter that is the same as the one on your drain cleaner has never given any problems..5 to 6 weeks to repair seems a bit much but I wouldn't take it the one that told you that the switch has been a problem from day one,, she's full of C*** I have several Milwaukee tools and whenever there has been an issue it has been taken care of..

Have you sent an E mail to Milwaukee yet ???

I followed up my call with an e-mail sent Friday...

I also followed up my call to Spartan with an e-mail Friday.

Monday might be a Holiday so hope to get an answer early next week.

My work-around adaptor for the cable drum worked well... gave it a field test yesterday... no change other than adding to the overall length.

I bought the same model, now made in China, hole shooter from Home Depot on the way home from work Friday night... it cost $119.95

The benefit of my adaptor is the drill was not altered... so all I need is the chuck key to switch from drain cleaning machine to 1/2" drill.

I have a Milwaukee right angle drill I bought new in High School back when I was making $2 and hour... I can't add up all the use it has had remodeling houses and it is still going strong.