New Glasses----what the heck?

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #21  
I agree with most of the replies here. That is just the nature of progressive lenses. I am about the same age as you but have had progressives for a few years now. It does sound like yours might need a little tweaking so they might be able to help you some but generally you are experiencing the same thing that I did when I first got my progressive lenses. I hope they can help you some.

/ New Glasses----what the heck?
Thanks guys. I will give these more time and get them fitted today. The thing that I could not stand was having readers hanging around my neck, getting tangled up in them, not having them, etc. So I really want these to work.

Yes, the frames were part of the big expense. They cost about the same as the lenses. But, they are so light that it is astonishing. If I can get used to these then the expense will have been worth it.

I'm just curious as to what happens if I can't get used to them. Am I out $_ _ _? Will the optometrist work with me on a replacement? Of course, I'll find all this out later today but I'm just curious. It bothers me a little that they never asked me what I wanted or even what they were giving me. I think they said they would be progressives but I did not know what that meant...obviously. I understand that they take getting used to but the extremely narrow field of sharp vision should be explained before they sell them.....in my opinion.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #23  
I had trouble the first couple days... Yes stairs were worst the first 2 days... Actually it took some time to adjust to using the scope on my rifle also... By Others
Make note of the advice above and also make sure you have clearance between scope and glasses. It can make for an Owee.:eek:

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #24  
The thing that I could not stand was having readers hanging around my neck, getting tangled up in them, not having them, etc.

I carry a pair of these in my pocket at all times. I keep one in my tackle box and one in my tool box, too. They run sales on them from time to time, buy 1 get TWO free! They are at most Walgreens, Meijer, etc.... :thumbsup:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/fo...g-glasses-gideon-+1.50/ID=prod6042624-product

glasses.jpg

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #25  
I got progressives last year and I can't stand them. I really hate the narrow field of view. The other issue is that they don't work well if you're out working and trying to align or level things (lay tile, level a board or dirt pad).

I'm thinking of getting lasik done next year. I've heard some folks that have had one eye done for distance and the other for close-up and they say it works fine. I'm kind of an outdoors person, so I'm thinking of both eyes for distance and then cheaters for reading.

/ New Glasses----what the heck?
I'm going to have to work out all the gun stuff. Already sighted a pistol and the glasses help a lot. It is very handy being able to see the front sight. For my rifle with the peep sight the glasses also help a lot. But, with a scope I don't think I need the glasses at all.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #27  
I've been wearing them for quite some time, and they do take a while to get used to. Having said that, I was lucky that the first ones I got were good. I tried to save a bit of money on my second pair, went to a local optometrist...turns out he sends his work out to some sweat shop to have the lenses prepared and they never got them right. Apparently they are difficult to make and fit properly; I made about 3 trips before I just gave up. My biggest problem is that even on my latest pair, they do not have enough maginification for reading, and besides it is so low in the lens that I can't crank my head back far enough...so I use some Walmart specials for reading.

I would ditto he advice to take them back, have them checked and refitted. I'm betting you got some assembly line/supermaket lenses that among other things, were poorly made and improperly fitted.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #28  
I have had progressive lense for about a year, they do not bother me. Also never wore glasses before, but my distance prescription is (was) only for astigmatism. Like the others, I would have them check the prescription again.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #29  
I have had progressive lense for about a year, they do not bother me. Also never wore glasses before, but my distance prescription is (was) only for astigmatism. Like the others, I would have them check the prescription again.

I'm on my third pair of progressive lenses, all fitted into titanium frames. They're ultra light, especially when paired with polycarbonate lenses. The latest lenses are the best by far, my field of vision isn't as narrow as previous lenses. The key is likely in the optometrist getting your center of vision correct. This is also dependent on you focusing straight forward during this step of the exam. Time will tell, if the lenses ate incorrect they will need replaced.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #30  
I have been wearing progressives for 15+ years. Getting them fitted correctly is essential. Need to get center line at same height as you pupil. I learned very quickly to always buy frames with adjustable nose bridge. Every pair I have gotten, they fit to me in the store but later I realize I wasn't holding my head in "normal" position so I tweak the adjustment up or down to fit better.