Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Default Re: New Glasses----what the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    This is where I got my last two pairs. $250 for one pair of high definition progressives, and one pair of bifocal safety glasses. The local guys wanted close to $600 for one pair of entry level progressives alone. f that.

The high definition option is well worth it btw.
    Tim.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by npalen View Post
    I would go back to the vendor and discuss your issues with them. The "horizontal" thing sounds like something is not right in the prescription.
    Yep. I had it happen to me. First time I put them on everything was distorted (non progressive not bifocal) so much so that when I tried to broom the patio it looked like the floor was ben up about 15 degreees. Defininte error in the prescrip.

Harry K

Veteran Member

I found the absolute nuisance of bifocals (progressives are just a version of that) was not worth it. Got all my glass with distance lenses only and then a second pair for reading. No more head bobbing up/down.

Even regular brand glasses are not cheap any more unless you get them throught cut-rate shops.

Harry K

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Quote Originally Posted by turnkey4099 View Post
    .... Got all my glass with distance lenses only and then a second pair for reading. No more head bobbing up/down.
    Harry K
    How does that work while driving?
    Before progressives I had a hard time seeing the dash and street signs at a distance.
    TXDon

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

I don't have progressives or bi-focals but the new lightweight lenses only have one clear spot dead center...Had these for 2 years and I still hate them. Going to try for something else...They're fine if you stare straight ahead all the time.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1960 ford 901 diesel

I am near sighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. When I had to go to bifocals about 15 yrs ago I could not live with lined bifocals they made me sick at my stomach. I went to progressives and have not had a problem since. Someone stated to get the largest lens you can, and that has worked well for me. I wear an aviator style lens that is a large teardrop shape that has a large bifocal area and don't notice having to move my head much to read.

Silver Member
    DC currently, soon Upper Hudson River Valley where our acreage is located.
    Tractor
    Still looking

I took to mine immediately and was able to read dash indicators, etc. no problem. I make my coin on computers in addition to making art, so the glasses get a lot of work. Good friend who wears off the shelf reading glasses brought his Garand over and we did some target shooting out back in my woods and he had all sorts of problems with the sights, while I with my progressives was cutting center (god I love that rifle).

Get them adjusted and double checked. A lot of art goes into getting glasses just right and I've had any number redone. Also, get yourself a bunch of those micro fiber cleaning cloths. I carry one in my pocket as well as stashing them in all the usual places.

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Quick timed target shooting was my problem with progressives. I ended up using reading glasses to see the gun sights and just aimed for the blurry middle mass.
    TXDon

Tractor
    Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL

Got them fitted. Didn't help much. They did hace an ad poster in the office showing progressive field of view. It is less like an hour glass and more like a martini glass with the readinf FOV being quite narrow. I was assured I'd get used to it. Driving, by the way, is not a problem, in fact it is great. Dash is nice and sharp, signs are easy to see. It is reading and using the computer that are giving me fits. It may be that I will have to get some dedicated readers for when I sit down just to read a book and do nothing else. However, I have no intention of going back to having readers dangling around my neck or falling out of my pocket all the time. And there is no way I'm going to carrying two pairs of glasses around.

I'll give these a few more weeks. Trying to get used to moving my head left, right, up and down for everyhting. If they don't work I will go with standard bifocals and just suck up the cost of new lenses fior these frames (I still love these light frames and lenses) or just get new lenses and frames from one of the online sources you guys have listed above.
    George
    South Carolina

The size of government is inversely proprotional to the degree of freedom it affords.

"What is truth?" Pontius Pilate

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Quote Originally Posted by N80 View Post
    I am having a great deal of trouble typing this post because I am wearing my new so-expensive-that-I'm-not-willing-to-tell-how-much-they-cost glasses. This is my first ever pair of prescription glasses. I'm 49. Reading has deteriorated over the years as to be expected. Right eye much worse then left. Drugstore readers would no longer correct right eye. Then I began to lose distance vision in my right eye. Gave up and went to optometrist. Did the exam and went to pick out glasses. Went for the cheapest looking Clark Kent nerd glasses they had. Then the optician led me over to the Silhouette brand glasses. Soooooo light. Titanium hardware. I bit hook, line and sinker. There's one born every minute.

They are also progressives. They tell me to keep them on at all times and that it will take two weeks to get used to them.

At first everything is swimmy. Then I get the 'progressive' thing figured out and things start to make sense. I have to move my eyes or head up or down to get the right focus. No big deal, I think, I'll get used to these in no time.

But then I notice that there is also a sweet spot in regard to horizontal aim. This is very distressing to me. In other words, as I look at a line of text on my small laptop computer screen, the middle of a sentence can be crystal clear and razor sharp but if I move my eyes to look at the end or the beginning of the sentence it is blurry as heck. This means that I HAVE TO TURN MY HEAD TO READ A LINE OF TEXT ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN OR EVEN A BOOK!

So I'm here to ask.....before I go back to the optometrist to demand my money back......enough money to buy a fine pair of German binoculars I might add.....if this is normal with progressive lenses or is this something I should expect (demand) that they would correct.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
    I know what you are talking about. I got my first prescription glasses about 3 years ago at age 55. They also are progressive, with 3 zones. I use them for computer work and for the first several days I didn't think they would work. Every time my head moved everything got wavy as you are talking about. Somewhere in there as I worked I found that i could actually see alot better and over time the weirdness disappeared. They are very comfortable now, and I would hate to go back to readers for work.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast