New Glasses----what the heck?

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I am having a great deal of trouble typing this post because I am wearing my new so-expensive-that-I'm-not-willing-to-tell-how-much-they-cost glasses. This is my first ever pair of prescription glasses. I'm 49. Reading has deteriorated over the years as to be expected. Right eye much worse then left. Drugstore readers would no longer correct right eye. Then I began to lose distance vision in my right eye. Gave up and went to optometrist. Did the exam and went to pick out glasses. Went for the cheapest looking Clark Kent nerd glasses they had. Then the optician led me over to the Silhouette brand glasses. Soooooo light. Titanium hardware. I bit hook, line and sinker. There's one born every minute.

They are also progressives. They tell me to keep them on at all times and that it will take two weeks to get used to them.

At first everything is swimmy. Then I get the 'progressive' thing figured out and things start to make sense. I have to move my eyes or head up or down to get the right focus. No big deal, I think, I'll get used to these in no time.

But then I notice that there is also a sweet spot in regard to horizontal aim. This is very distressing to me. In other words, as I look at a line of text on my small laptop computer screen, the middle of a sentence can be crystal clear and razor sharp but if I move my eyes to look at the end or the beginning of the sentence it is blurry as heck. This means that I HAVE TO TURN MY HEAD TO READ A LINE OF TEXT ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN OR EVEN A BOOK!

So I'm here to ask.....before I go back to the optometrist to demand my money back......enough money to buy a fine pair of German binoculars I might add.....if this is normal with progressive lenses or is this something I should expect (demand) that they would correct.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #2  
I am having a great deal of trouble typing this post because I am wearing my new so-expensive-that-I'm-not-willing-to-tell-how-much-they-cost glasses. This is my first ever pair of prescription glasses. I'm 49. Reading has deteriorated over the years as to be expected. Right eye much worse then left. Drugstore readers would no longer correct right eye. Then I began to lose distance vision in my right eye. Gave up and went to optometrist. Did the exam and went to pick out glasses. Went for the cheapest looking Clark Kent nerd glasses they had. Then the optician led me over to the Silhouette brand glasses. Soooooo light. Titanium hardware. I bit hook, line and sinker. There's one born every minute.

They are also progressives. They tell me to keep them on at all times and that it will take two weeks to get used to them.

At first everything is swimmy. Then I get the 'progressive' thing figured out and things start to make sense. I have to move my eyes or head up or down to get the right focus. No big deal, I think, I'll get used to these in no time.

But then I notice that there is also a sweet spot in regard to horizontal aim. This is very distressing to me. In other words, as I look at a line of text on my small laptop computer screen, the middle of a sentence can be crystal clear and razor sharp but if I move my eyes to look at the end or the beginning of the sentence it is blurry as heck. This means that I HAVE TO TURN MY HEAD TO READ A LINE OF TEXT ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN OR EVEN A BOOK!

So I'm here to ask.....before I go back to the optometrist to demand my money back......enough money to buy a fine pair of German binoculars I might add.....if this is normal with progressive lenses or is this something I should expect (demand) that they would correct.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

I could of wrote this post myself. I can't stand those glasses, went back to my reading glasses. They conned me into buying Raybans 700.00 bucks for these blinders

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #3  
I would go back to the vendor and discuss your issues with them. The "horizontal" thing sounds like something is not right in the prescription.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #4  
I would take the glasses to the optometrist so they can scope the lenses and make sure they are the correct prescription...I am not sure what "progressive" lenses are (didn't Google it) but I doubt it's the lenses that will be changing (progressively)...the optometrist will know I would hope...although you may want to get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist...

/ New Glasses----what the heck?
Progressive just means that the prescription changes as you go from the top to the bottom of the lens. With bifocals there is a line. Far vision above the line, near vision (readers) below the line. No-line bifocals are the same there is just no transition line. With progressives it progressively goes from far vision correction, to mid vision correction to close vision correction. And moving my head and or eyes up and down to accommodate for distance is fairly intuitive and makes sense to me.

But if I hold my head still and look left or right (at all) the glasses are blurry...not just at the edges but anywhere left or right of dead center. It is like trying to read looking through a tube. I have to move my head left to right as I read or type a sentence. I hope this is not 'normal'.

I will say this, my wife picked the glasses up for me and they told her I needed to come in so they can fit them. And I will do that. I'm just not sure that that can fix what I'm seeing.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #6  
The horizontal problem is actually normal. The way progressive lens are shaped is like a narrow hour glass. The focal point is a narrow vertical band. Some lenses the band is wider than others.

You will no longer have peripheral vision. Yes, you will need to turn your head back and forth to read or look out the side view mirrors on your car.

For daily life I like the progressives, but for driving I prefer standard lenses.

Jack

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #7  
Yes, progressive lenses suck. Move your nose to follow what you reading. Gave up on them and got bifocals. Now just move head up or down to see what your reading.

Norm

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #8  
Ok, here's the deal. They tell you it will take two weeks. Its been a day. Give it a chance....

I got them several years ago and attempted to drive home with them on.

"This means that I HAVE TO TURN MY HEAD TO READ A LINE OF TEXT ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN OR EVEN A BOOK!"

You have to do the same thing when looking in the car rear view mirror. I about killed myself and someone else within 8 blocks of the eye doctor's office. I turned around and took them back 5 minutes after I left the office. I have regular glasses with no bi-focals or progressives now and I carry a pair of drugstore magnifiers for tiny stuff.

If I ever decide to get bi-focals again, I will get lined bifocals like my dad! :cool2:

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #9  
Some people have trouble with progressive lenses & others don't. I love mine, the wife hated the ones she tried.

/ New Glasses----what the heck? #10  
Took me a year to get used to my first set. no exaggeration. Walking down stairs was the worst.