All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft?

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
With all of the discussion about guns, ammo, and crazy behavoir, I was just curious if anybody here plays (or simulates) with airsoft guns?

My son and I have been playing for a little while, and I've got to say that I think it's a hoot and half. We've had his friends and cousins come over and we split up in the woods and then track each other down.

We see the big advantage of airsoft vs. paintball as it being quite a bit cheaper to get into, not nearly as messy, and the guns look way, way cooler (more realistic). Of course, many times you're on your honor to admit if you've been shot.

So my question is this: Do you guys think that airsoft (or paintball) is a good or bad behavior? After all, we're out in the woods stalking each with fully automatic 6mm weapons, with the whole point being to shoot each other. After we shoot each other, we talk for a minute and split up and do it all over again.

My opinion is that it is fun and we have a good time with each other and when his friends play, it's even more fun. Plus, we get to mess around with replicas or weapons that we couldn't afford to own real versions of. Also, to clarify, whenever we play, we always wear goggles and (most of the time) face masks, 'cause those BBs really hurt, especially on a cold day.

Again, just wondering what you guys thought about this. Good luck and take care.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #2  
My son and I do the same thing. It's really a blast when our round hay is still in the fields. In fact most of my sons friends have come over and played with us. Do I see anything wrong with it? Heck no! We don't treat it as a violent activity, just as competition. Everyone is laughing and having a good time. Spending time with your kids and your kids friends is a great way to stay active. This same group of boys also went downhill skiing this weekend and I was right there trying to keep up. Having quality time with your kids is your best bet to having successful adults.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #3  
Sounds like fun. My sons ran a paintball business for several years and it is a hassle and costs a lot of money for equipment and those paintballs HURT. Interestingly, my son used airsoft guns training the soldiers under his command when he was in the 82nd, he said it worked well enough to get their attention, but not enough to hurt anyone.

I don't see why there would be a problem, it's a game; sure others will disagree.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #4  
What you do on your property is your choice. I think it is waaaaay better than the kids sitting in some room playing those
video games. You get outside, actually talk with people face to face and get exercise.

MoKelly

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #5  
Airsoft is fairly harmless with the right equipment, but my grandson was sporting a big bump on his forehead and left cheek after going to a friend's house recently. He looked like a Hindu woman with a bindi for several days.:D For about three hours, he had a 1" diameter swollen spot around the red dot. All this is to say that a full face shield is best if you don't want to look like you've come down with a sudden case of chicken pox. Wearing goggles is mandatory. The real danger I see is that kids will be kids and may not restrict their 'war' games to times when they are fully decked out in protective gear. You have to judge your own kids, but like BB guns or pellet rifles, an eye shot could have devastating long-term consequences. Even target shooting in close quarters can have bounce-backs that sting. A lightweight pair of safety glasses could really save a kid's eyes when they are doing everyday plinking.

The upside of Airsoft is that it is not as dangerous as BBs. The typical airsoft gun shoots the plastic ammo at 350 fps. However, the 'green gas' ones that use propane propellant can be much faster. I don't see any problem with kids playing war. We certainly played cowboys and indians when I was a kid. Our home made bows and arrows were extremely dangerous. The nice thing about airsoft is that it hurts enough that boys will make sure they are protected. One event like my grandson's and you can bet he will be better protected the next time he goes into battle.:thumbsup:

BTW: I was blown away by the lack of Airsoft ammo and CO2 cylinders at my local Walmart. They had 3 jugs of pellets and guns, but were completely out of CO2. My grandson had a loaner airsoft gun. When we buy him one, it may be an electric gun that runs off of batteries. I don't want to have expensive CO2 cylinders everywhere and sure don't trust my grandson with propane. I think electric is the best option.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #6  
Sorry goes against everything I've ever been taught about gun safety.Don't like or agree with it.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #7  
My son and I played paintball together for years and I think airsoft would be a blast as well. Any time you can spend making memories is a great investment. Great fun.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #8  
I do paintball once and awhile. I have a airsoft gun but I use it for shootin down hornet and wasp nest. Mines fully auto so it is able to desimate a nest pretty quick and from a safe distance.

Electric is the way to go. They are ussualy alot slower and less accurate then the compressed air ones.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft?
Thanks for the comments fellas. I really think that playing in the outdoors with my boy and his friends is a great way to spend time, and a couple of his friends fathers are planning to come play when the weather warms up. Last night, even though it was quite cold, my daughter came outside with us and played for a little while just around the house. It was the first time that she handled an airsoft gun and thought getting to spray plastic BBs at her old man was a pretty good time.

She wasn't real wild about it when I shot back.

And it was a good thing I was wearning a full mask last night, because she had several head shots on me.

After we were done playing, we went inside and made grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches, sat in the living room and watched TV, ate supper, and talked about their days at school. This is one of the reasons that I like playing with my kids like this - we generally have a good time, get in a good mood with each other, and tend to spend more time together.

I'm confident that my children, who both shoot real guns, will have no problem discerning between when it's okay to point an airsoft gun at someone and a circumstance in which it would be appropriate to point a real gun at someone. My guns are kept in a safe and the kids know that they are never to handle a gun without parental supervision. At this point, my children have given me no reason to question their honesty. If they ever do, that will be another ball of wax.

In the meantime, we'll probably just keep loading up on the BBs before they're outlawed. I've got to get that Airsoft SCAR before it goes on the banned weapons list!

Good luck and take care.

/ All this gun talk - anybody play airsoft? #10  
Sheesh, Air-Soft?

When I was a kid, we just used BB guns! BB guns and dirt clods.