Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment?

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #21  
Only people better than long distance sailors at packing small would be submariners.

As a pack rat, I know I can fill up whatever space is available...... :rolleyes:

All this talk about Stuff had me thinking of Carlin. :laughing:

Won't post the link, in case anybody would find him offensive (mild, by today's standards, IMO) - Look up George Carlin Stuff on Youtube.

I miss him.

Rgds, D.

That brings back memories. I, too, miss George Carlin. One of the funniest guys ever. I will never forget his bit comparing baseball with football. Still makes me laugh.

MoKelly

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment?
That brings back memories. I, too, miss George Carlin. One of the funniest guys ever. I will never forget his bit comparing baseball with football. Still makes me laugh.

MoKelly

I have a copy of Carlin's book "Braindroppings" where he relates "A place for your stuff" A partial quote: "Your house is nothing more than a place to keep your stuff, while you go out and get...more stuff" Really miss Carlin, he was one of the funniest guys in the modern world.

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #23  
I am guessing my grandmother lived in a house that was around 900 sf of living space. That was her little home and the only house she ever owned. It had three bedrooms, a bath, a small kitchen, a very small living room and a unheated/uncooled windowed porch. She had a single car garage which also had a utility room for the washer and drier.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: OK, I had to check the internet. Zillow says the house is 925 SF. Got curuiousor, and the tax record says 925 of living space out of 1200 total. It was built in 1955.

The closets in the house are small and built INTO the bedrooms. I would guess that all of the bedrooms have 10 feet in one direction. I think two might be 10x10 with the master being 10x12. That would include the closets. The closest like the rooms were small. I don't think people had that many clothes to store in 1955. 925 sf is larger than 280 sf but my grandmother did not use two of the three bedrooms so she was living in 600-700 sf. Maybe.

The house, until the last few years of her life, was cooled with a window AC unit and heated by a gravity fed oil burner sitting in the center of the house.

Later,
Dan

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment?
Dan...just FYI: When I purchased my place in the country it was a 24X36 single story Cape Cod, 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom, large living room and formal dining room. As it was a kit house from the Aladdin Company in Bay City, Michigan, and I knew the records for the company had been donated to a local university, when I found the house build number I contacted the college and asked if they could tell me when my house was built. They got back with me, and sent a copy of the original purchase order:

Order 49233, placed in May 1949, Delivered price $3436.
Includes Red Cedar siding, oak floors in all rooms except kitchen and bathroom, ($100.75 extra) and sales tax of 3% ($100.68) and 5% cash discount.

That price was for all framing lumber, sheathing, siding, shingles, subfloors and finished floors, interior doors and trim, and windows and interior trim and very basic wood kitchen cabinets. It did not include drywall or plaster, electrical fixtures or wiring, insulation or plumbing fixtures and pipes, or a furnace and ductwork.

Still...an 864 square foot basic house for $3436...that guy with the 280 square foot apartment in NYC supposedly pays about 2 grand PER MONTH in rent...:laughing: Attachment shows a copy of the sales brochure for the house as it should have appeared when completed.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 123
   / Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #25  
House I grew up in was 960sqft 3bdrm 1 bath. Was cozy for the 5 of us. Then when my Grandfather passsed away, Grandma came to live with us making 6. Never knew anything different.

Mornings got interesting with only one bathroom...

My brother, SIL, and nephew live there(parents moved). They have way more stuff, so even just with the 3 of them, it seems small now.

Again, "could" live in 280sqft if had too. Wouldnt want to, especially in big city. But if it made the difference between putting food on the table and not, there might now be much of a choice. Certianly don't want to...

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #26  
House I grew up in was 960sqft 3bdrm 1 bath. Was cozy for the 5 of us. Then when my Grandfather passsed away, Grandma came to live with us making 6. Never knew anything different.

Mornings got interesting with only one bathroom...

I grew up with 5 younger sisters and 1 full bathroom and 1 half bathroom. All I can say is thank goodness we had some woods out back or I wouldn't have made it.

MoKelly

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #27  
I did that when I was young and poor and newly married. The owner put a lot of thought into it with a lot of "boat like" features. But it was not a place where your friends would hang out.... Any my bike had all the chrome rust from sitting outside. I would be pretty happy with a big insulated barn with living quarters in one corner where there is light in the morning.

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #28  
Very interesting thread.

In 1952, my parents upgraded from renting a 2 bedroom duplex to a 2 bedroom plus livingroom that converted to 3rd bedroom . It was a Pontiac Chief trailer, 8' wide x 40' long. I believe that was outside dimensions. Home for me, parents and 3 brothers until 1958 when Dad added a 10x30 addition. Of course by that time they also added three sisters and another brother so there were 10 of us in that 620 sf. We moved in 1961, when my parents bought a house with 4 bedroom and an attic that my dad finished off for us 3 older boys - still only one bathroom though.

When we first moved here, we had built a 16x20, 2 story for us to live while building the house. That housed me, the wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a bunch of our stored "stuff" until the house was ready. House is over 3000sf and I am currently expanding my workshop another 10x19, soon to be followed by expanding the tractor shed another 10x24.

Shoot, the master suite where I'm typing this is 21x42. (Only one bath though) :)

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #29  
well now that brought back memories.

when i first got married, my stepfather let me and my wife and my stepchild live in an old airstream trailer ( them aluminum ones ) for a few months to save up some money so we could put down a house payment.

i am pretty sure it was 8' wide.. and not sure on the length. had a master bedroom in the back.. then a lil bathroom.. water heater was a 10g job under the sink, then a lil kitchenette. and the front was a livin room type area. it had a windo unit ac up there and a tv.. all the appliances were gas as i recall. :)

stepmonster kid slept on the couch up front.. we put her up a divider to make a room for her.. worked out ok i guess. made getting that house so much nicer. I think took 6-7months in all.. actually had the downpayyment in 4, and 3 more to actually get closed and move in...

/ Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment? #30  
no way... my closet is larger than that.

I NEED room to expand (junk and belly included :))