Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment?

Today's local news has a story about a 31 year old man who lives in a 280 square foot apartment a few blocks from NYC's Times Square, and it goes on to quote the guy as saying: "There really isn't time to let things accumulate because where would I put them." I am composing this in a master bedroom that measures 270 square feet and it makes me laugh to think about trying to cram even a part of what I own into this room. But I see the fellow's point...if you don't have the room for 'stuff" you probably won't buy it in the first place...keeping your life much simpler and enabling you to concentrate on more important things. Maybe 25 years ago my dad told me that while it was nice to own stuff, after a while you had to devote so much time to making room and caring for the stuff, it owned YOU instead.

Sad thing is, my dad's advice didn't make any sense to me back then, but the older I get the better I understand the meaning.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

I could not live there. Or any apartment for that matter. I would sooner live in a cave with the bats and the bugs then an apartment.

Tractor
    new holland tn70

Default Re: Could you possibly live in a 280 square foot apartment?

JD i don't know if i could do that or not but if things keep going the direction that they are in a few years i might get to find out

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

I guess I could live in a 280 sqft cabin in the woods, but not an apartment in the city.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I dunno... My 5th wheel is 27', by ~8' wide, or 216sqft.

Wouldn't want to, but I could out of necessity. Sure would be a change in life style. And, a lot less stuff.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

My wife and 2 kids lived in a 580 square foot mobile home, and my wife and I lived in 880 square feet in our metal building before we built the house. 280 square feet would be really hard to live in. Thats about the size of a motel room I think.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

I have a 30' TT, actual interior space is 27'X7.5' and every time my ex and I would get home from a camping trip I would walk in the house and think "D*** this place sure is HUGE....."
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Haven't you heard of the Tiny House?

Bodega Plans | Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1652 FEL

We are actually considering building a tiny house on the farm. Ours will be a little bigger (600 - 700 sq ft) but the idea is the same. The problem we find with the micro home wave is that many are over-finished in that too much money is spent on the interior finish. I'm not talking about living with untaped drywall but some these homes are finished with very nice interior finish, many times nicer than my current home.

Tractor
    New Holland T5070

I agree, 280 sq ft would be really cramped... But like what was already said, living in the city would be the harder part for me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -
    Benjamin Franklin

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    -Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast