Air compressor troublee shoot question

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #21  
your motor identification sticker on the tank says 110 volts at 17A. Are you using the compressor on a 20 amp breaker? you are not using 220 volts at all. It looks like a simple 110 volt motor and I suspect your brushes are worn to nothing. you should try pulling out the old brushes and get replacement for it. You either will have a plug to turn to access which I doubt on your kind of motor. I think it might be right behind the fan held in by a clip and screw. If not then you will need to pull the shaft with magnets on it to get the brushes out.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question
I tried to tell you how to fix it ,it is not the capacitor these small compressors run hot and can seize easily take the fan off and work the shaft in both directions until it moves freely , You can not buy that capacitor with out ordering it from china even if it was the problem make sure it's full of 30 weight non detergent oil

My shaft isnt frozen as you state and it moves freely. With that, the only conclusion i could arrive at was it had to be something else. You state its not the capacitator,and i assume it apparently isnt seized since the shaft still moves freely,so what else could it be?

your motor identification sticker on the tank says 110 volts at 17A. Are you using the compressor on a 20 amp breaker?

I suspect your brushes are worn to nothing.
============================
it is on a 30 amp breaker,and never problems with that CB

Ok Ill look into the brushes condition .

Last edited:
   / Air compressor troublee shoot question #24  
You don't have to buy a capicator. If you don't have a cap. tester,any motor shop should be able to test it for you

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #25  
don't look too hard for the brushes... :confused2:
with that capacitor in plain site, IMO it's an induction motor, no brushes.

Pete

You don't have to buy a capicator. If you don't have a cap. tester,any motor shop should be able to test it for you

Whats a "reasonable" price range I can expect to have one tested?
Maybe there are cheap testers I could buy and test it myself?

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #29  

I don't think you want to spend that kind of money to test a capacitor. Take it to a shop for a test if bad and you buy a new capacitor there shouldn't be a charge for testing.
Check your breaker on the circuit you are using, a 20 amp breaker will be marginal to start a 17 amp motor with without tripping especially if it is a little hard to start due to a bad capacitor. Make sure the tank is depressurized completely also. Check the oil in the compressor. Drain it and refill with synthetic 5w -30 or 10-30w and it will work better also.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #30  
I don't think you want to spend that kind of money to test a capacitor. Take it to a shop for a test if bad and you buy a new capacitor there shouldn't be a charge for testing.

Mine cost more $ than that. I just posted the cheapest I could find for him.Unless he is going to use 1 alot.I wouldn't buy it.That's why I also advised a motor shop to have his tested.He could probably buy several caps. for the cost of the tester

Last edited: