Air compressor troublee shoot question

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #1  

PalmSprings

Tractor
1922 McCormic Deering 10-20
it looks like there was no appropriate place for this question,but this is as close as I could come.
I have a little inexpensive 2hp air compressor .
I pushed the on button to start it and only got a hum. Of course i only let it hum for a second,so shouldnt be any damage from it.
It has run for a few years flawlessly,but this particular day it just didnt.
I took the shroud off to see if I could at least turn the starting motor by hand and retry a start,but couldnt find a way get into it.
Besides throwing it away an getting a better compressor,how do you suggest I try to see if i can get the moter to start ,provided it only needs a nudge or some other simple thing to check that may be a possible solution?
Its made by US hardware (made in china) a little cheapie.
Thx

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #2  
Some compressors have a relief valve in the pressure switch so the motor/compressor does not have to start against the air pressure. This may not be working. Try it with no air pressure in the tank or line.

Bruce

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #3  
Sounds like it might be cold. From what I understand, you have to use a cold weather oil that is thinner or it wont start spinning. With mine, I put it out in the sunniest location I can and wait until the last minute to turn it on. Even then, it takes awhile until it works.

Eddie

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #4  
Is it an oiled cylinder, or an oilless type?

Eddie is right that oil-type compressors will not start well in cold weather. Put it away in a warmer location at night or just keep trying starts. It will pop breakers at first, but will eventually run.

Oilless compressors start better in cold weather, but have much higher noise levels and do not last nearly as long as the oil ones.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #5  
Two HP eh ? , check the capacitor.

Also try starting with the belt off.:(. If it hums then you know the problem lies in the motor.:thumbsup:

Might try a different plug in on a different circuit??

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #6  
Probably not your problem, but worth mentioning just in case: Don't power it through a thin, household extension cord.

xtn

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question #7  
if this was on an extension cord.. try right into the wall.

ditto on trying it with no air in the tank.

/ Air compressor troublee shoot question
been out of town since my post. will respond tomorrow.
thx for tips

No belt. see pic i posted today

Attachments

• DSC05365.jpg
    DSC05365.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC05366.jpg
    DSC05366.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC05367.jpg
    DSC05367.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 166
You got me..Capacitor? where? At the start switch? Ill try all the suggestions tomorrow am.