Petroglyphs & Pictograms

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #21  
I built a Burm in my backyard patio with a tall quartzite boulder rock in the center of the rock display. Eventually I want to use a dremel tool to replicate some of the Petroglyphs & Pictograms from our local site. Should make a great conversation piece. " Inyan Wakan Tanka" This quote is from a Lakota creation story. Inyan means "rock", and Wakan Tanka means "the Great Mystery".

Better be careful; don't want to attract UFO's, Bigfoot and Coyote.

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #22  
This picture must be about three years old. The drought has not allowed grass like that around here in years. Pretty nice site. Did you notice how the red rock runs in strips.

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #23  
   / Petroglyphs & Pictograms #24  
Pretty cool though with all those artifacts laying around. In NC you can find arrowheads bit you really have to hunt for them and then are hard too find. I have found two on our property by sheer luck but some folks have found hundreds of arrowheads in other parts of the state.

A park ranger explained to me, once, where one looks for arrowheads. The best places are flat meadows a little uphill from creeks. That is where the native hunting parties camped, and where the arrowheads needed for the hunt were made. Extras and rejects were abandoned, and you could sometimes find a large number in a small area.