Petroglyphs & Pictograms

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #1  

Pine Strip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B-3000
DSCN3214.jpg232323232fp63585_nu=_988_6_7_258_WSNRCG=3477_74862349nu0mrj.jpgDSCN3211.jpg

A favorite hobby of mine is to travel around on my Wing and see the many sites of Petroglyphs & Pictograms. :earth:

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #2  
   / Petroglyphs & Pictograms #3  
great...ever figure out why the drawings were done, why some childish, some more accurate...why long torso on human body...were they rites of passage,or documentation?? of hunts, or??

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #4  
I figure if a fellow wants to ride a motorcycle, that's first choice; beautiful machine. I had a 1985 model, but quit riding about 24 years ago.

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #5  
Ancient native american sites are a real wonder to see and more should be protected as part of our national heritage. Its also very exciting when a piece of their past is found. Great pics.

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #7  
Nice photos:thumbsup: I have some we found in Arizona near the Petrified Forrest museum, they where literally hundreds on the rock outcrops near and ancient rock Indian settlement you can tour. We walked across the highway and "poked" around and the drawing where every where. If I can find some of the photos I will post them, they where on a hard drive that fried and I have been able to recover some of the stored photos.

There also are quit a few in the 4 corners region. Near where I hunt Elk, there are some that according to what I've been told where trail markers for traveling Ute indians. Sad thing is , some of the pictographs have been cut out and stolen, damaged by attempts to remove and what appeared to be Dumb ***** high schoolers doing graffiti.

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #9  
Of some interest

Three pictograph images fall from cave wall:

Billings (Mt). Three images at Pictograph Cave State Park near Billings broke off and fell to the ground.
One of the images was aturtle that was more than 2,00 years old and represented one of the earliest known painted images on the Northern Plains..

An abstract image in charcoal and two pieces of a light red ochre image also rbroke off.

Park officials said the turtle remained almost intact on a single slab of rock and will become part of a display in the visitor's center.

The cave has 33 pictographs remaining.

Harry K

/ Petroglyphs & Pictograms #10  
I read a book a couple of years ago that discussed the black market trade in antiquities from the southwest. Supposedly one can still find ancient pots and other artifacts in some remote areas and apparently it is very common to find pottery shards everywhere in some desert areas. I don't know this for a fact just what I read.