Air tools w/ small compressor?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #51  
I like disassembly with air tools. But most assembly I do by hand, and use torque wrenches. For lugs, I'll use the impact to run the lug nuts back on, but only after starting them by hand, and then usinga low setting. Then, will finish them with a torque wrench.

If you need a NASCAR speed pit stop, time for NASCAR speed tools, and lots of $$$

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #52  
+1

Cheers

I like disassembly with air tools. But most assembly I do by hand, and use torque wrenches. For lugs, I'll use the impact to run the lug nuts back on, but only after starting them by hand, and then usinga low setting. Then, will finish them with a torque wrench.

If you need a NASCAR speed pit stop, time for NASCAR speed tools, and lots of $$$

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #53  
I used to work in the industry. At the factory what is used is called a DC nut runner. It not only measures torque, but also counts revolutions, so if there is a cross thread condition it is caught before it leaves the plant.

i figured they must have soemthing 'calibrated' like that.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #55  
Years ago I got tired of using a pry bar to take off my rear finish mower blades and purchased a nice 1/2" air impact wrench...
When I say nice, I mean rated @ 450 lb. ft. of force @ 5.5 cfm and 90 psi...
It is certainly not considered professional by any means but it did cost me $49 at the time...
To power it I purchased a nice 6 HP air compressor that had a 30 gallon tank...
Darn thing was stolen so then I replaced it with a 60 gallon unit...
Both of my air compressor were purchased off of Craigs List for $250...
I know that is probably more than you want to spend but it is nice putting that air impact up to frozen bolts and bust them loose...
It is a man thing...lol

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #56  
harbor freight and tsc usually run a 29-30g 2-3hp 120v compressor in the 150-200$ rnage now and then..

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #57  
yep.. I don't want the studs on my road vehicle stretched.

the local tire place I normally use use a torque wrench when putting lugs on. no joke.

I know for a fact walmart tire does too, as a matter of fact I was getting 2 new fronts the other day, and someone came in for tires and they did not have lug torque data for him and refused to do any tire work. ( he was quite angry! )

that's why i won't use an impact for lugnuts. even with a torque slip socket..
I musta missed it. Why?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #58  
I musta missed it. Why?

I don't trust a tire store to have calibrated torque slip sockets or extensions.

those items don't last forever.. they wear.

and I wouldn't personally use them for the same reason.. they would serve me no better than a torque wrench.. which at least I can have calibrated at the tool store.

I love an impact to REMOVE nuts.. but not put them on..

i don't need a wheel coming off while I'm shooting down the interstate hauling a load of horses or cattle.. or a flatbed full of iron, because some hs dropout used his hi power air gun and just pulled the trigger on it putting my lugs on at the tire store and held the trigger till the air tank died while he texts his girlfriend.

cuz I've seen monkeys like that at some shops...

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #59  
After lug nuts came loose on me on the interstate.I would put them on with impact and go over them with a wrench.Now that I've got a great air compressor and a good inpact.Impact is all I use

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #60  
my concern would be the studs coming off due to stretching from the impact putting the lugs on.. not the nuts coming loose...