Air tools w/ small compressor?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #61  
my concern would be the studs coming off due to stretching from the impact putting the lugs on.. not the nuts coming loose...

I don't know what happened but it was only 1 wheel on a 1988 ford bronco.Funny thing is,I was headed to your State when it happened. My father had a place there

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #62  
Kinda been where you are...this is my experience...am Scottish heritage myself.

I've learned...low end Craftsman wrench destroyed itself too soon. Trying to break loose a nut takes both high torque and lots of air.

Thus, I bought a HFT impact wrench...highest torque they had...I hefted several, one was toooo heavy so I went one step down as regards weight. I think it's a half inch.

I added some old propane tanks for extra CAPACITY...just ran hoses and shutoff valves from one to the next and to my compressor. Before I did this, I ran out of air fast and compressor ran all the time at too low PSI.

Now, I use a wrench to break loose the lug nuts, then the impact to spin them off quickly. Impact spins them on after I start them by hand but ALWAYS do final tightening by hand...else I end up with wobbly rims after a few minutes...don't ask how I know...

I find impact to be really, really handy, but not a complete replacement for the 4 way such as you, and I, have.

I truly believe that your small compressor does not have sufficient CFM air to get the job done by itself. However, if you can find an additional tank of some size and add it, then you will be amazed at how much difference it makes. Do this and get a 80 dollar HFT impact wrench. The high torque results in using less total air than a less powerful impact wrench...thus you actually get the job done faster with the same compressor/air capacity tank.

good luck...and keep your wrenches handy to break loose the TOUGH nuts.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #63  
I don't know what happened but it was only 1 wheel on a 1988 ford bronco.Funny thing is,I was headed to your State when it happened. My father had a place there

well, at least you survived it.

a tire coming off at speed can be deadly.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #64  
I have way more than my fair share of tools and equipment but I bought a car trailer 100 miles from my house and when I got there it had a flat tire and i just couldn't break the lugs loose with a 4 way .Ran down to the local HF and bought a electric 1/2 impact and plugged it into my 4000 watt inverter I have in my truck (everyone should have an inverter ) and it worked great ,That was 7 years ago and it still works great after being used 100's of times ! Imagine that !

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #65  
(everyone should have an inverter )

i agree.. very usefull.

I'd love to get one of those 2-4kw units when hf has them on sale. havn't brought myself to invest that much yet.. :)

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #66  
i agree.. very usefull.

I'd love to get one of those 2-4kw units when hf has them on sale. havn't brought myself to invest that much yet.. :)

google tadd wholesale supply they sell thru e bay I think I paid around $30.00 for my 4000 watt inverter they sell store returns and over stocks (read the condition and return policy also check shipping rates before you bid ) I have seen many people drive from Florida and load their dually and goose neck trailers full of tools and equipment ,I used to buy 3-$5,000 a week from them for resale at a minimum 100 % profit .

/ Air tools w/ small compressor?
I have way more than my fair share of tools and equipment but I bought a car trailer 100 miles from my house and when I got there it had a flat tire and i just couldn't break the lugs loose with a 4 way .Ran down to the local HF and bought a electric 1/2 impact and plugged it into my 4000 watt inverter I have in my truck (everyone should have an inverter ) and it worked great ,That was 7 years ago and it still works great after being used 100's of times ! Imagine that !

I had not thought about an inverter. The corded impact wrenches cost less than half of what the cordless ones do. Would have to figure in the cost of the inerter but it would certainly have other uses. I know nothing about inverters. How big/much/powerful one would I need to run power tools? Do they require mods to the vehicle?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #68  
I had not thought about an inverter. The corded impact wrenches cost less than half of what the cordless ones do. Would have to figure in the cost of the inerter but it would certainly have other uses. I know nothing about inverters. How big/much/powerful one would I need to run power tools? Do they require mods to the vehicle?

I keep mine in a plastic box under the back seat of the truck and when I need it just attach the red and black leads to the battery .You can mount them but I don't use it daily. 2-4000 watts will run just about anything and I have used it for my dewalt sawzal /circular saw and air compressors with no problems , You can also hook them up to a marine battery for a short while if you can't get your truck close to where you need power I've seen them up to 10,000 watts but they start getting pricey ! we keep smaller 800 watt inverters in our trucks for recharging cell phones etc

/ Air tools w/ small compressor?
Northern Tool has a 3000w inverter but it is $379! But, I can see how this could be very useful at a track with no power or getting things done around my property. I'm assuming it can run off my tractor battery as well as my trucks.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #70  
Northern Tool has a 3000w inverter but it is $379! But, I can see how this could be very useful at a track with no power or getting things done around my property. I'm assuming it can run off my tractor battery as well as my trucks.

I've used mine a few times working off the tractor ,no problems