Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: What TBN use to be like

And to whoever mention the devisive times in this country contributing to some of the hostilities here on TBN....

You couldn't be more wrong!!!

Just kidding, of course. I think you're 100% correct.

Seems lots of folks are polarized on many issues. That's why I hate to see politics discussed here. I'm glad that the political discussions get moved to the friendly politics forum, but I have to wonder if the hostilities that come out in there spill over into the mainstream TBN? Several members have mentioned it.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    I'm starting to think that way, too. I tend to stay off it on the weekends now and spend more time doing stuff with family or around the house. Maybe only log on late at night when wife and daughters have chick flicks on the TV.
    Spending less time on the internet does seem to work (at least for me), but I'm still working on finding a good balance. I sometimes have back problems (long story) which prevent me from spending long periods of time doing other things such as working in my garage or on my tractor, so I wind up posting on TBN or watching TV until my back gets better.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

And to whoever mention the devisive times in this country contributing to some of the hostilities here on TBN....

You couldn't be more wrong!!!

Just kidding, of course. I think you're 100% correct.

Seems lots of folks are polarized on many issues. That's why I hate to see politics discussed here. I'm glad that the political discussions get moved to the friendly politics forum, but I have to wonder if the hostilities that come out in there spill over into the mainstream TBN? Several members have mentioned it.
    Quite possibly, but for me, what happens on "Friendly Politics" stays there, I can have significant disagreements on those forums with someone, yet remain cordial on tractor/implement/how to threads. If I get to the point to where I can't, I will stay away from politics as I enjoy the tractor stuff more.

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    Spending less time on the internet does seem to work (at least for me), but I'm still working on finding a good balance. I sometimes have back problems (long story) which prevent me from spending long periods of time doing other things such as working in my garage or on my tractor, so I wind up posting on TBN or watching TV until my back gets better.
    Very similar situation here, haven't been able to get near a tractor in months or drive my truck, so I spend more time on the computer during those times. I imagine there are quite a few in the same situation.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    The internet also allows people to hide what is within themselves, thus appearing to be something they are not. Worse yet, I think the internet is slowly making many people as cold and uncaring as the computers which allow them to communicate. Think about it.. with this message, I'm not talking to you (the person), I'm talking to my computer. Food for thought.
    That is mostly true too. Though I don't think people are more cold because of this form of communication. Unless by cold, you mean rude, to which I will whole heartily agree. I think the people who really are cold and uncaring, out themselves on the Internet, where as in a face to face meeting, you would not always pick this up about the person. Other times, what seems to be cold and uncaring, is just a miscommunication due to the written word. Most communication between people who are talking face to face, is body language, which is completely absent in on most forms are Internet communication. But I think people also reveal more of a part of the personality than they would in a face to face encounter.

I met one of our local politicians at an event last year and we had a pleasant chat. Now, I know this person is very unpleasant because I have seen what this person says and does as a politician but in our 15 minute conversation, none of this persons true character was revealed. Years ago I learned to trust myself on first impressions. I was working with a guy, who when I first met him, struck me as very untrustworthy. A group of coworkers would hang out after work and I got to know the guy a bit better and thought my first impression was wrong. Turned out my first impression was correct after all. There were a few little things at work he did that were bothersome but the biggy was that he had a live in girl friend and I think they were engaged. On the side, the guy was having an affair with a college intern and that was not the first time he had done this either.

People can hide themselves in person to person communication, as well as on the Internet, but I think most people end up unveiling more than they think on the Internet, which is not always a bad thing. After reading what you did for those stray cats, I always think of you as Mr. Softie, and I say that with the utmost respect and admiration. You revealed a part of yourself saving those two critters. I don't think many people would have done what you did for two strays.

Later,
    Dan

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dmccarty View Post
    That is mostly true too. Though I don't think people are more cold because of this form of communication. Unless by cold, you mean rude, to which I will whole heartily agree. I think the people who really are cold and uncaring, out themselves on the Internet, where as in a face to face meeting, you would not always pick this up about the person. Other times, what seems to be cold and uncaring, is just a miscommunication due to the written word. Most communication between people who are talking face to face, is body language, which is completely absent in on most forms are Internet communication. But I think people also reveal more of a part of the personality than they would in a face to face encounter.

I met one of our local politicians at an event last year and we had a pleasant chat. Now, I know this person is very unpleasant because I have seen what this person says and does as a politician but in our 15 minute conversation, none of this persons true character was revealed. Years ago I learned to trust myself on first impressions. I was working with a guy, who when I first met him, struck me as very untrustworthy. A group of coworkers would hang out after work and I got to know the guy a bit better and thought my first impression was wrong. Turned out my first impression was correct after all. There were a few little things at work he did that were bothersome but the biggy was that he had a live in girl friend and I think they were engaged. On the side, the guy was having an affair with a college intern and that was not the first time he had done this either.

People can hide themselves in person to person communication, as well as on the Internet, but I think most people end up unveiling more than they think on the Internet, which is not always a bad thing. After reading what you did for those stray cats, I always think of you as Mr. Softie, and I say that with the utmost respect and admiration. You revealed a part of yourself saving those two critters. I don't think many people would have done what you did for two strays.

Later,
    Dan
    When I used the word cold I was generalizing (bad habit) about the effects computers have on communication, although you put it much more eloquently than I did. And I agree that first impressions can speak volumes, even if we don't always listen to what our gut is telling us.

Don't worry about calling me "Mr. Softie" because you're 100% correct. Something I've always struggled with is the fact that I sometimes come off sounding like a prick online, probably because I'm usually very guarded and tend to show little to no emotion in what I write. But with traumatic situations like the one with my cats, I tend to let my guard down and my true nature begins to show.

Veteran Member

"Seat time" as I remember it used to be a pilot's term. Pilots need to build hours to get their ratings, so they get as much seat time as possible.

Apparently, tractors require pilots!

I know my little PT425 sounds like a good fighter jet name....
    That's the whole reason I bought my Yanmar F16D - I just thought it had a cool name!

Tractor
    JD 5075E

MasseyWV said : "But with traumatic situations like the one with my cats, I tend to let my guard down and my true nature begins to show." & "My back side is just itching for some quality "seat time"." Ok. Like Seinfeld says "Not that's there's anything wrong with that." We don't judge.
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    You're sure right, Robert. And yes, I think I had, and still have, quite a number of real "friends" on TBN that I've never met in person. On the other hand, I've met quite a number in person, and we've had some great get-togethers to do different projects, and some just for the camaraderie.
    Bird I'm thinking you were the first to answer a kubota question I had. and it must of been before 2000 Nevertheless still read and respect your posts . candid answers . We have never met but the future isn't over yet.
    Robert remember you health issues of broken back trust the health will continue to improve.
    ken

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

"Seat time" as I remember it used to be a pilot's term. Pilots need to build hours to get their ratings, so they get as much seat time as possible.

Apparently, tractors require pilots!

I know my little PT425 sounds like a good fighter jet name....
    Seat time has been used in the education field for years. In college....students are awarded credit for classes on the basis of "seat time" in class and out of class student work.
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Years years back most of us had dial up wait to get connection slow post reply,and to submit attachment will thats another story..as the old ad you to say..you come along way baby.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast