What TBN use to be like

/ What TBN use to be like #31  
Know what I really, REALLY miss about the older days of TBN? When they didn't have such a huge assortment of ads splashed all over the site. It has reached the point now where I have ads obscuring a part of the forums no matter what I do to eliminate the problem.

/ What TBN use to be like #32  
While I joined much later than most, one of my favorite things to do on here is go back to the last page of threads in each section and start reading. Ten years ago there was indeed a lot different feel to the forum. People were mostly happy with what they had, looking for info on how to use it best, new things to build and projects to tackle. Now it seems like a lot of members are lusting over other folks equipment, complaining about problems with what they have, and are just looking for new ways to spend money. With that said, it still is more of a family forum that many, but it seems as though peoples values are definitely changing.

I'm currently on page 280 of the Build-it-yourself forum, good reading from back then. :drink:

/ What TBN use to be like #33  
This is just my opinion, but I think the current state of TBN is this way because members allow it.

For those who want to argue, only see things their way, will not entertain or open themselves to a different view or opinion is a waist of my time. I simply ignore them and if others here would do the same maybe we could get TBN back to the way it was.

After reading post here for several months I joined around 2005. I was able to post more since dial up was a little faster then. Now I can only post when I get a free moment at work. But I read almost daily except on the weekend; I have a lot of projects going...MPD.

I received a lot of great information and enjoyed reading about projects, what you were doing with your tractor, etc., and still do. I just don't allow myself to get caught up in arguments. I have never been involved in one on TBN simply because it is not worth the stress or time. Life is short and I have enough stress without arguing with some arrogant know it all. I would not be friends with them in person and I will not stoke their ego here.

There are only a few on TBN that would fall into this category. Some from when I joined are no longer here and if you don't allow yourself to get pulled in to this type of thread the current ones will change or leave.

I enjoy reading the commits of most members and many I would consider friends even though I have not met them in person. Some here, I know if I had the opportunity of meeting would be great friends. When I see things on the news that are happening in different parts of the country I think about the members living in that area.

You can tell alot about a persons character by how he treats his family, his pets, his tools, and the words he has written.

TBN is still a great site and only the members can make it this way. And only the members can keep it this way.

David

/ What TBN use to be like #34  
I have only been on tbn for a short time but I feel it is the best forum on the internet. Several people have helped me with questions and/or provided great comments to threads. I really enjoy reading a lot of the post and am often amazed by the knowledge and skill of other members. Regarding the question of whether people are friends I usually consider people I work with, etc as acquaintances. For me, I have to know someone for a while and have other things in common with besides work and usually if we like the same things, get along and what not then I consider that person a friend but just posting with others on the internet I would say that's more like an acquaintance at best.

/ What TBN use to be like #35  
I was going through papers the other day and ran across these and it brought me back to what TBN use to be like. This board was a fun, friendly, family like place. There was hardly any negative posts, everyone treated each other with respect and we all got along regardless if we agreed with something or not.

These cards were sent to me when I fell and broke my back in 2007. There were 4 of them in all, my friends on here took the time to discuss doing something to help lift my spirits while I was down and out. They sent the card from member to member for each to sign and eventually send to me. I never knew this was happening till I received the cards. It was a great gesture and one I will never forget. Sadly I know some of the guys who signed the cards are no longer with us and others just don't post on here much anymore but there are a lot of familar names most of you will recognize.

These boards have grown and while it is nice coming on here and know you can get an answer quickly for just about any question I miss the personal feel this board use to have.

Thank you again to all my friends on here. View attachment 301239View attachment 301240View attachment 301241View attachment 301242View attachment 301243View attachment 301244

Gee Bob, your signature doesn't exactly spread a warm fuzzy.
"God must love stupid people; He made so many".

/ What TBN use to be like #36  
It's a good point that the forum will be as nice as we make it. I'll have to work on the old good manners adage: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

/ What TBN use to be like
Gee Bob, your signature doesn't exactly spread a warm fuzzy.
"God must love stupid people; He made so many".

I set that as my signature a long time ago because I found it funny. Haven't found anything worthwhile to replace it with yet.

/ What TBN use to be like #39  
I joined before it was TBN. There were changes just going from what was originally a Kubota site, to TBN. Over the years, the site has evolved, and yes, changed. And, it is harder to manage a large group than a smaller group, no matter what it is; forum volunteer group, whatever.

Ever since joining, I would note that there are seasonal changes here. Seems yearly, in mid winter, "cabin fever" or something like that, affects the forum. Every year things get a little tense, for lack of a better word, about this time.

/ What TBN use to be like #40  
This thread makes me think. I always wanted a politics section, mostly because coming from Canada, our political discussions are more civilized and typically discuss the issues as opposed to personal attacks. In many political threads on TBN, the opposite is true.. While it can get heated, politics is not a bloodsport here. Now I wonder the wisdom in wanting a political section because since it began I notice a change in tone in all sections, not just the political ones. There is definitely some spillover.

It is not just political subjects.

My county has a privately run chatlist and website that covers our county and local issues. Both places are famous for incivility. Most of it is certainly political, our local politics is VERY divisive because of a group that took over county government a few elections back, the personal attacks and lies told that were used back then have continued and greatly split my county. However, there is more to the incivility than politics. Partly it is the mode of communication. People will say things on the Internet that they would not say in person.

The local chatlist is finishing up on the latest subject that devolved into rudeness. A woman mentioned that she saw a rabid raccoon running across the road and she tried to hit it with her car. When I saw the post I knew the poo was going to hit the fan. :eek: People started to attack her for trying to kill the raccoon. Of course she defended herself and it got ugly. The woman was simply trying to warn people that she saw a rabid raccoon but then people attacked her. Now, HOW she knew the coon was rabid is a good question but instead of asking the lady how she knew the coon was sick, they just attacked her. Then they started implying that the lady would try to hit dogs that were running loose because they might have rabies. :shocked:

The internet makes it too easy to be rude and snarky. I often find myself following my granny's advice, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then do not say anything."

Later,
Dan