Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Default Pet Food Bank

I was listening to Clark Howard this afternoon and some one called stating that they have started a pet food bank and are operating in about six states now. What a great idea for folks loosing their jobs or down on their luck. First time I ever heard of that idea! Our local food banks are strugling to keep the shelves stocked and we live in a resession proof area.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Default Re: Pet Food Bank

Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post
    I was listening to Clark Howard this afternoon and some one called stating that they have started a pet food bank and are operating in about six states now. What a great idea for folks loosing their jobs or down on their luck. First time I ever heard of that idea! Our local food banks are strugling to keep the shelves stocked and we live in a resession proof area.

mark
    That is a great idea, we donate food and blankets all the time to our local animal shelter. Maybe if food were available to some needy pet owners fewer would end up in the pound.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by mjarrels View Post
    mark
    Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to see if they have anythiing like that around here.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

We don't have a Pet Food Bank in our County, but the County animal shelter is constantly asking for food and supplies. Sometimes when I go to Walmart, I pick up a 40 pound bag of dog food and drop it off.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

I work in the pet food insustry and like the human food business a lot of food gets tossed into the trash. Most of it is damages or stuff that reaches the best before date. Even though it hits that date it is almost always perfectly fine for many more months.

That's not to say all of it gets thrown out, for example where I work we donate most of it to rescue and shelter organizations.

There are so many rescues and shelters out there they can be quite competitive for donated material. If managed nationaly or by region, a food bank could be a central place for citizens and rescues and so on to get their food. It would be great for people and pets.

The food bank is a great idea
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.