Rim Guard in colder climates

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Hi all,
I have been considering getting the rear tires on my 2400H filled and was researching Rim Guard Vs CC (Calcium Chloride) and here is what two different local tire shops told me. Both of these shops are n smaller towns and majority of their tires are large Ag tires.

Both of these shops offer either Rim Guard or CC. NOTE: Not sure if both are authorized Rim Guard dealers or not.

Both shops said they have never had a customer that wanted the Rim Guard reinstalled after having a flat.
Reasons stated are:
Difficult to wash the Rim Guard off of some materials.
Rim Guard will stain some materials.
Very difficult to pump in cooler / cold weather
To expensive Vs CC

Has anyone else heard of similar issues in your area?

Not wanting to start a debate on the corrosiveness or environmental hazards of CC Vs Rim Guard. In Illinois the county and state spread more calcium in a day on the road in front on my house than I would ever use in tires in ten life times..

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #2  
I don't know about staining but Rim Guard is easy to wash off. It's spread on lots of highways with calcium to stop icing.

When the fellow came out to install mine it was new to him. He looked it up in the WHMS (hazardous materials) guide before coming out and the hazard was rated as 0 (ZERO). He spilled a fair amount on my paved area and the rain washed it off in no time.

In my experience it is not more expensive than calcium--espcially if you have tubeless tires now. You don't need to add tubes.

Difficult to pump in cold weather is likely not an issue. In most cases you can wait to install it in warm weather. I suppose it could be an issue if you get a flat in the winter. For most of us that is unlikely.

One thing--you need to make sure you have proper valve stems for RimGuard. It will eat away the adhesive holding the stem components together in substandard stems. Here's a link to a thread(see post #9) with more info about this:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/203966-arrived-today-my-new-dk50.html

Here's a link to other info:

Comparing Types of Liquid Tire Ballast | OrangeTractorTalks

For me, the environmental and safety benefits far outweigh the additional(if any) cost.

Cheers

Last edited:
   / Rim Guard in colder climates #3  
well -- I went with rimguard and love it. I will again. It doesnt seem to be hard to wash off - but it does have a smell to it. I will not use cacl due to corrosive nature- regardless of cost.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #4  
I've have rim guard in my tires as well roughly 100 gallons in each tire. cost was just over$300 installed I have had the tractor out in -4 degrees F with absolutely no trouble at all.

taken from Rim Guards site "Rim Guard™ is freeze-resistant down to -35°F". It is very easy to wash off and out of my tire pressure gauge.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #5  
Rim Gaurd is the way to go. As they say Patented in 2001, Rim Guard™ is non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-toxic, biodegradable and does not freeze down to -35°F.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #6  
I have methanol in my tires. It is non corrosive. There is no way I would put calcium in a tire. It will eat your wheels up in no time.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #7  
Rim Gaurd is the way to go. As they say Patented in 2001, Rim Guard is non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-toxic, biodegradable and does not freeze down to -35ーF.

I wonder if the patent is just a copywright for the name. It is beet juice and there are other suppliers. One is Bio-Tire at Bio-Tire Ballast. I believe there are other suppliers with different names.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #9  
I have used Rim Guard (which is sugar beet liquid) down to -30 with no problem. The new tractor has Bio-Tire; equally as good and it is a glycerin product.

I do not use CC due to its corrosiveness and effect (salting) on the ground if spilled.

/ Rim Guard in colder climates #10  
I have rim guard in my bota. I had cc in a tractor once, it sprung a leak, and the rim was garbage before I could get it fixed.