FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
FLEA\'S, FLEA\'S and more FLEA\'S

Can any of you fine folk tell me what it takes to break the cylce of flea's?
I have closed off the basement from the dog and cats and started spraying Diazinine(SPELLING?) for them. I have treated the entire basment 3 times in 3 weeks and still the jump on you thick enough to notice it around your feet instantly.

I relize that with all the tall weeds and so on(in the butting 33 acres) I'll never get them out of the yard, but I do spray around the house and wash down the drive way and this actually has mad life better out side. But man i can't seem to get them out of the basement. Maybe I should double the strength... But I have soaked the place 3 times.

This is just storage and 1 car parking space so exposure isn't to big an issue yet...

Any ideas...Is there something better out there...?

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #2  
Re: FLEA\'S, FLEA\'S and more FLEA\'S

This is going to be a little less than helpful, but, they have some stuff you mix in with your flea poison that messes with their reproductive cycle. I can't remember the name of it, I just ask for a little bottle of flea birth control when I buy the insecticide. I guess it hangs around longer than the insecticide and nails the ones the other misses.

Here is a little more info. The people I buy from sell a half ounce bottle so I don't need to buy a pint and have it set around and decompose.

http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #3  

Paul, the only time we ever had a problem with fleas on a dog, a vet recommended dipping in a solution of liquid Sevin (I think they called it "Flowable Sevin"). We just mixed it up, dipped the dog right up to his ears, then poured the dip into a spray rig and sprayed it. It's been a few years, but worked great and fast for us.

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #4  

When there were fleas at my dad's house, we had to dip the dogs, then bomb the house. We had to repeat it avery few weeks. I think we did it 3 or four times. The problem with the bomb is it only gets the live ones, not the eggs.

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S

I haven't gotten to the dog yet other than a bath just to give him some relief...We just don't let him in during the summer. We provide a nice shady area with lots of water...besides he can always go for a swim in the pond....

But i can't get more than a reduction in the flea pop in the basement...even with the animals restricted...to out side....

The thing thats strange is the stuff seems to really be working out side the garge door on the drive way but not so great in the basement. but the constant climate inside may have something to do with that...

i didn't mention it earlier but we had already bommed 3 times upstairs and in the basement and upstairs clean but its been 3 bombs 7days apart and 3 diazanine treatments 7 days apart so far in the basement... thats six week total. I had always under stood that it took up to 4 weeks worth of treatment top stop the pop of fleas....

Granted the fleas have been worse this year than the 2 previous summers...i don't know maybe these are mutant fleas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or maybe some body sold them the antidote.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I can't ever recall it being so tuff to break the cylce....

thanks for the link bgott... I'm gonna spray one more time with a good strong dose of diazanine (which will not be available next yr) and if that dont' get it I'll have to look into this stuff....

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #8  

5% SEVIN DUST works well. Low smell and you can even dust the pets with it.

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #9  

Chemicals have too many repercussions. Why not try something a little more useful than just doing in the fleas? My mother had a minor flea problem in her house with a cat, so she got hold of some 'nightlight' gizmo that was suspended over a 'glue trap.' The little buggers seemed attracted to the night light (of course it has to be dark in the room) & would land on the glue trap as they headed for the night light. The thing had a plastic grid so that something larger would not get stuck on the glue trap, but I would leave it flat & exposed so that anything else crawls on top of it, they get stuck. Get the flat, low profile glue trap, not the one that has a raised ridge like a small tray. Wal-Mart (no, I don't own stock in Wal-Mart) sells them in the bug spray section.
J.W.

/ FLEA'S, FLEA'S and more FLEA'S #10  

Paul,

A vet can sell you "frontline plus" for dogs, and I think for cats. This stuff will just flat put a stop to fleas. Also does a job on ticks but not 100%. It will kill the fleas and eggs, and kills the ticks after they wander around on the dog a while.

You pour this stuff on them once a month.

The only problem I have found with ticks is sometimes the ticks jump off the dog before they die, and since I don't use frontline or a tick collar on myself...... they can still end up on me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This won't get them out of your basement but it will keep the animals from putting them back in.

Fred