HVAC question

/ HVAC question #31  
Yes , you have a 90 % furnace that produces condensate. The furnace condensate is highly acidic . That pump may not be made for furnace condensate

Last edited:
   / HVAC question #32  
you could add one of these 4720-06 - Nu-Calgon 4720-06 - PH Treat - Acidic Condensate Neutralizer in the tubing that drains the condensate from your combustion vent to the receiver. The condensate from combustion is acidic and should be neutralized before dumping down a drain, the condesate from your AC coil is just water and does not require neutralization.

Or there are pumps rated for acidic condensate:http://www.pexsupply.com/Little-Giant-553101-VCL-14ULS-200-GPH-Automatic-Condensate-Removal-Pump-w-Safety-Switch-14685000-p if you are not concerned with where you are discharging.

/ HVAC question #33  
The best way to deal with condensate is to chip a trench to the floor drain and install a PVC drain line make sure it runs downhill. Gravity works everytime.

/ HVAC question
I let this current Little Giant unit dry out and now it is working again. I do not see any corrosion. Float switch moves freely. It has been plugged into the outlet on the furnace. There is a wall outlet nearby so I will plug it into that from now on.

I dismantled the previous unit and could not see any problems from the wiring, to the switch, to the tubing. Just wouldn't work. I do not know how to test electrical connections.

I've added a little bleach to the tank.

I remain stumped. Will look into a trench in basement floor but not sure how to get it past the basement wall to the outside. There is no floor drain and sewer line is higher than basement floor.

/ HVAC question #36  
I looked up the specs for this pump and they state it is good for condensate from a high efficiency furnace. The plug shouldn't make any difference as long as the pump is receiving 110 volts. Like I said ,I rarely see a bad pump.. I've seen some old ones still performing.... Good luck

/ HVAC question #38  
That's right... Use only enough to clean and kill the algae. Chlorine is not a friend to plastics and seals and gaskets. Just an added thought: if you don't know tell all of your female friends, wives, sisters, etc. DO NOT EVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA. It will produce extremely toxic fumes and removes oxygen very quickly. Unconsciousness and death will occur quickly, especially in small rooms.

/ HVAC question
My wife called Little Giant and they just said cut the cord off the old one and throw it away and they sent us a new one. But I needed one before it got here so I bought the only one that Lowes had. It was only $68 and seems far more robust and well made than all the previous ones including the Little Giant. It is called IntelliTech Pro. Has a one year warranty. Can find any mention of it on the internet. So now I have one hooked up and one for back up.........that should cover me for at least 18 months.:laughing: