HVAC question

/ HVAC question #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
My HVAC system is in my basement so it has a small sump type pump that sits next to it that pumps condensation out. Well, the little pump unit failed the summer before last and overflowed. So I bought a new one and it worked fine. A few days ago I was down in the basement and the dang thing was full of water and had overflowed again. But it is winter. Does the heater (natural gas) produce condensation too? And is there any trick to finding one of these little condensate pumps that will last more than 18 months?

/ HVAC question #2  
Get pump made by Little giant, 90+ furnaces create lots of humid exhaust that turns to water that is pumped out. also use tabs in the sump to keep clean.

/ HVAC question
Thanks. Will look for a Little Giant pump.

/ HVAC question #4  
   / HVAC question
Yes, their Nextgen pump is a good bit more than the flotec and other models at the big box stores but the reviews are much better. Has a two year warranty as well. I'd rather spend more money once than less money and have to replace every 18 months. Thanks again.

/ HVAC question #6  
If you are wondering where the condensate comes from, natural gas is mostly methane - CH4. When it burns, the carbon atom becomes a CO2 molecule and the four hydrogen atoms become two molecules of H2O - water. Because the high efficiency furnace takes so much heat out of the exhaust a lot of the water condenses.

/ HVAC question
You learn something new every day!

/ HVAC question #8  
Buy 1 that has a built in safety switch. When the pump fails, the safety switch shuts down the unit so ,it doesn't over flow.The condensation from a 90+ furnace is acidic and will rust out the cheap pumps

/ HVAC question
This one has two switches. A large float switch which activates the pump and then a small switch higher up that must be a shut off. I emptied it out and the tank was full of garbage that looked like fungus or something. I cleaned up the tank and slits where water goes into the pump. I blew out the tubing that carries the water outside. It might have been a little clogged. If I lift the float switch the pump activates so I think it is still working. Its all hooked back up again and I'll check on it this evening.

/ HVAC question #10  
The safety switch connects (usually) to the thermostat wires. A small amount of water stays in the pump and algae will grow .. You should out the pump every season..You can fill it with water to check & see if it's still working