Computer selection - please advice

/ Computer selection - please advice #21  
I also built my own, not hard as long as you get parts that work together.

I would recommend asking the same question on the forums here ,http://hardforum.com/.

Not that what you get here is not excellent advice, but theses guys are to PC and gadgets like some of guy's here are with machinery.

/ Computer selection - please advice
I also built my own, not hard as long as you get parts that work together.
I've got a small kick today. The professional (!?) receptionist of a shop, which is building custom computers, to my question about blu-ray burner installation answered, it's a dying technology. But if I wish, they can add. :shocked::shocked:

/ Computer selection - please advice #23  
I've got a small kick today. The professional (!?) receptionist of a shop, which is building custom computers, to my question about blu-ray burner installation answered, it's a dying technology. But if I wish, they can add. :shocked::shocked:
Odd, what do they say will replace it?
I can see it being replaced by streaming movies, but haven't heard of another technology to replace it (well perhaps a new version that stores more data per DVD, but that's it).

Aaron Z

Odd, what do they say will replace it?
I can see it being replaced by streaming movies, but haven't heard of another technology to replace it (well perhaps a new version that stores more data per DVD, but that's it).

Aaron Z
He said nothing about any replacement. But I think the computers with Blu-ray are simply just late to come here.

/ Computer selection - please advice #25  

From what I've been told, it is because of the buying market. Blueray didn't take off like I guess they thought it would, most users simply have kept using the plain DVD format.

/ Computer selection - please advice #26  
From what I've been told, it is because of the buying market. Blueray didn't take off like I guess they thought it would, most users simply have kept using the plain DVD format.
I see several reasons for that:
1. Blueray is an extra $20-50 on most computers
2. Most people dont need to burn much more than 4.7GB of data
3. Not a lot of blueray players out there, so if you want to burn something to send to a friend, you need to burn a DVD in most cases

I see more new computers (especially laptops) with blueray, so I suspect that it is reaching critical mass.

Aaron Z

/ Computer selection - please advice #27  
Aaron that is true, even the laptop market has shrunk with all the tablets and smart phone capabilities now. I still use a "dumb" phone though:laughing: Hard for me to rationalize $29 a month for data, when I can use my power house desktop at home and my laptop on the road if need be.

/ Computer selection - please advice #28  
I haven't found any description about possibility to attach BD burner to a desktop locally. Except that link gotten from you on Newegg.com. Here they say this is a very new technology. It's available only as a stacionary expensive media version. How would I know if I'll be able to attach it to my new computer?

The BD players/burners use standard SATA connections for internal devices. The technology is not that new. It has been around for years but maybe they just don't stock the players/readers for some reason.

External BD players/burners use USB 2.0/3.0, Newegg.com - usb bd burner so you could always get one in the future.

You would want a BD player to play the latest BD movies. A BD writer is good if you want to back up large amounts of data. In my case, a DVD simply does not provide anywhere near the storage space I need. Even a 25 GB BD disc is on the small size of my needs. BD players support DVD and CD read/write formats.

The BD player would give you the most flexibility since it supports BD, DVD, and CD formats. The BD media can be expensive but the price has dropped in the last year or so in the US. The price has dropped enough for me to buy a BD writer to use to backup my data. Currently I am using external USB drives for backup. I will still use the external drives but the BD's give me a better offsite backup option.

Later,
Dan

Name: MAGNUM I5-3470/16/1TB/GTX660/NOD32 (locally assembled)

Tactical frequency: 3200 MHz
Installation: NOD32 installed
Operational memory: 16384 MB
Processor: Core I5-3470
Video device: GeForce GTX660
HD space: 1000 GB
HD speed: 7200 rpm
Connections: 2xUSB 3.0 , 6XUSB 2.0 , Audio Input , Audio Output , DVI , HDMI , LAN
Frequency: 1600 MHz
Video device memory: 2048 MB
Optical: DVD±RW
Card reader: 1
Memory type: DDR3
Warranty: 2 yrs.

Local price: $1012
So, I'm about to make a deal on that 3rd version. The only doubts are of the processor i5-3470. :confused2: Better could be i7-3770 and 8GB Memory, but they took me...

My Wife surprised me today saying she has special coupons of the shop ("Topo Centras" just info) which gives us 10% discount, so total price in USD is $911. Tomorrow is the last day of the circulation of those coupons, so the time remaining is 1 night and day. I would have to pay full price for the first 2 versions, 'cause they are from the different shops. For the W7 I'll pay additionally.

Salesman confirmed this desktop has SATA connection so I could replace the DVD±RW into BD (both players/writers) at any time I wish and I already know BD supports DVD and CD. When I showed them the components on the Newegg.com, they say the prices here are double of those in the USA.
As I've written in one of above replies we also have local BD media players on the market, but very expensive:Paie

If anyone of you guys will stop me saying 'better think twice', I'll stop. :laughing:

/ Computer selection - please advice #30  
So, I'm about to make a deal on that 3rd version. The only doubts are of the processor i5-3470. :confused2: Better could be i7-3770 and 8GB Memory, but they took me...

My Wife surprised me today saying she has special coupons of the shop ("Topo Centras" just info) which gives us 10% discount, so total price in USD is $911. Tomorrow is the last day of the circulation of those coupons, so the time remaining is 1 night and day. I would have to pay full price for the first 2 versions, 'cause they are from the different shops. For the W7 I'll pay additionally.

Salesman confirmed this desktop has SATA connection so I could replace the DVD±RW into BD (both players/writers) at any time I wish and I already know BD supports DVD and CD. When I showed them the components on the Newegg.com, they say the prices here are double of those in the USA.
As I've written in one of above replies we also have local BD media players on the market, but very expensive:Paie

If anyone of you guys will stop me saying 'better think twice', I'll stop. :laughing:
Looks like a decent deal to me.

Aaron Z