Computer selection - please advice

/ Computer selection - please advice #31  
I'm pretty sure most newer good motherboards gave E-SATA and SATA connections.

I think the i7 will have more processing power, (numbers crunching) I have the i5 in the one I built, works great for video with the setup I have, but would fall short compared to the i7 when doing allot of hard numbers.

/ Computer selection - please advice #32  
If you are going to use Autodesk AutoCAD and/or GIS files (.sid files), the i7 processor and as much RAM as you can afford will last you for awhile. AutoCAD claims it does not require a heavy duty processor, but that is only if you are drawing a couple straight lines. A large drawing, computing angles and GIS vectors can slow down older computer chips to a crawl. Many of the GIS sid files are over 1 GB in size. I have a USB 3.0 Blu-ray and works very well. I put an eSATA board in another computer and it also works well with external SATA hard drives. Seems like many of the cookie cutter computers do not come standard with eSATA connectors now that USB 3.0 is available. If you can afford the i7 and extra RAM, get it now instead of trying to upgrade it at a later date. Also, be sure you have software that will write to DVD and/or Blu-ray, as Windows typically will not write to those devices out of the box in most cases. Good luck.

/ Computer selection - please advice #33  
Also, be sure you have software that will write to DVD and/or Blu-ray, as Windows typically will not write to those devices out of the box in most cases
For data, Windows 7 will burn to either. If you want something a little fancier, IMGBurn is a great (free) program to burn data discs.

Aaron Z

/ Computer selection - please advice
I'm pretty sure most newer good motherboards gave E-SATA and SATA connections.

I think the i7 will have more processing power, (numbers crunching) I have the i5 in the one I built, works great for video with the setup I have, but would fall short compared to the i7 when doing allot of hard numbers.
Ookaaay! Still have a few hours to go on that deal or to refuse. i7 :drool: !

/ Computer selection - please advice #35  
   / Computer selection - please advice #36  
Ookaaay! Still have a few hours to go on that deal or to refuse. i7 :drool: !

Since I am spending YOUR money, :laughing::laughing::laughing:, buy the i7. :D

i5 vs i7 is going to depend on the complexity of the AutoCADD drawings and money. My CADD program works perfectly well with even older systems I have but the software is no where near as complicated as AutoCADD. I would be inclined to buy the i7 but it depends on the price. CPU's can have some strange price points. I am looking at buying a laptop and the cost to go from an i7 3630QM 3.4 CPU to an i7 3940 XM 3.8 CPU is $835!

My realistic choice is to move up to a i7 3520M 3.6 CPU for $50 or an i7 3740QM 3.7 CPU for $85. I am likely to spend the $85. There is a another CPU for $285 for an i7 3840QM 3.8 CPU but I ain't buying that CPU either. :laughing:

I have been planning to build a new desktop system but I think I will end up getting a laptop. I need a BD writer for backups so I will get an external USB BD device unless I build a NAS in which case I can buy an internal writer.

I like spending YOUR money but I sure do not like spending MY money! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Computer selection - please advice #37  
I'd start with an Intel i3 or i5. At those lower end cpu's I've heard those are the better choices. A laptop might be handy -- depends on what you are doing. But you can take it from the shop, to breakfast table, to bathroom if you need. An i3 will run sketchup, do email, run Excel, and browse the net ( I use Chrome). I don't like win8 -- hate it in fact. But if you get it, and don't like the wizbang user interface, you can download 'classic shell' and get your start menu back. I say this because you may find that win8 comes installed and you have no choice. I don't think one brand has a big advantage over another. I have heard good things about Asus. I bought my daughter a HP, which seems decent. I have a Toshiba and older Lenovo. My son has an Acer. The old Lenova has the best keyboard -- but the newer ones are probably not as good. We test drove an Asus. I liked the keyboard, but the HP had the i3 for just a bit more $. The HP's keyboard is better than the Acer.

I'd probably look for best price on an i3 or i5. Then shoot for the Asus, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and last Acer. Our i3 HP was $380 I think. 4GB RAM, 500 GB disk. I'd buy a cheap external disk also -- and then backup the important stuff. Try to get one that has space for 8GB RAM if possible. But that depends... I figure the i3 will last us at minimum 3 years -- more likely 5 -- and possibly 7.

If you are going to get a desktop -- those can be pretty cheap also. And you already have the keyboard, mouse, and display (or will have). Then you can just focus on the CPU really. The laptops are handy.. but more flimsy.. so if you are hard on things, consider that.

I look for where there is a big price drop-off. Right now that seems to be the i3 or i5. You go above that you and you are paying for the privilege to own newer technology. I let those who need it pay for it, and I take the sweepings that give me all I need at sub $500 prices. My 2 cents.

PS -- but I don't use Autocad. And I don't do anything graphics intense. I find sketchup is all I need -- and more -- and runs fast on the i3, or in fact, older CPUs.

Since I am spending YOUR money, :laughing::laughing::laughing:, buy the i7. :D

Later,
Dan
And you've done that. :shocked: Today's deal is c a n c e l l e d !!! I've lost 3% of discount of mentioned coupons.
That shop (Topo Centras) told they have already ordered on stock new computers with the same configuration but with i7 processors which will arrive next week. To my question about loss of coupons they answered, OK, they'll leave me 7% to keep up my (client's) loyalty.
Indeed I will lose more, 'cause that bloody i7 will be pretty costly. :fan: :mur:
So you're really good my money spender... :muttering:

Last edited:
   / Computer selection - please advice #39  
Indeed I will loose more, 'cause that bloody i7 will be pretty costly. :fan: :mur:
:muttering:
\
Money well spent by "DAN" too:D For what you're doing, you may be glad you spent the extra vs wishing you'd done it.