Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Present: 2003 Kubota M9000DTF Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202

Default Computer selection - please advice

One of my stationary computers needs to be replaced into new one. A screen and a keyboard will remain the same. Have spent some time in the shops looking for the best version to be fitted to my requirements and talking to the sales guys. I'd like to have it most fast, powerful and up-to-date. But my IT skills are weak, I'm only the user. I will need it to run AutoCAD (or analogous), streaming TV, good enough for videos (example: YouTube movies more than 1 hour long)... The internet I have is not the fastest one, but not the slowest, it is installed via Light Cable (must be special expression in English, which I don't know). Want it to be effective not only for today or tomorrow, but for longer time.

One proposed by sales person is as follows.
    Processor type: Intel Core i7-3770
    Operational memory (RAM): 4096 MB (DDR3)
    Hard disc space: 1000 GB
    Video device: GeForce GF560 (or GTX560)
    CD reader: DVD-RW
    Local price: $964

Another one.
    Processor type: Intel Core i7-3770; 3.5 GHz; 8 MB cache
    Operational memory (RAM): 8 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz in dual channel mode
    HDD disc: 1TB SATA3; 7200 rpm 64 MB cache
    ODD: DVD RW 22X Dual layer
    VGA: GeForce GTX660 Ti 2 GB DDR5; HDML; DP; DVI + possibility to install second video device
    Card reader: CF I and II MD, SM, SD
    Local price: $1195

Soon I'll check out the third one with 16 GB operational memory.
    Local price: $1041

All of them are assembled in my country with 2 or 3 years warranty.

I'm sure here are lots of fellows skilled enough to make a good advice. Thank you in advance.

Tractor

Default Re: Computer selection - please advice

BTW I was adviced by a sales guy it's better to use Windows 7 but not 8. He said 7th version is better. Have no experience in that and can't understand why could it be so. Does anyone has an opinion on this subject?

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by saracenas View Post
    BTW I was adviced by a sales guy it's better to use Windows 7 but not 8. He said 7th version is better. Have no experience in that and can't understand why could it be so. Does anyone has an opinion on this subject?
    W8 is a touch screen system, was designed specifically for them, so many people I have spoke to have said stick with W7.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Hard drive size is pretty much a none issue now what with the portable hard drives of 2 Tb for a couple hundred bucks. If you are going to be doing a lot of video gaming or Auto-Cad you likely want the biggest RAM memory like the 16 GB? (shouldnt that be MB). All of the Intel I-7 processors are the fastest on the market today and should last you a long time.
    I don't do gaming on mine, just email and internet like TBN. I just bought a new HP Pavilion 23 with 4 GB RAM and Intel Core I-5 processor. It is one of those that has a big 23" screen and computer and screen are one unit. It came with wireless mouse and keyboard so no cables to mess with. It is like a big laptop that doesn't fold up. I like it, only cord attached is the power supply. I looked at replacing the old desktop, but BestBuy wanted more by $200 for the same featured desktop (no monitor) than a comparable laptop. I told him they were nuts, who would want to buy a desk top for more than a laptop if both had same processor and RAM.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Hard drive size is pretty much a none issue now what with the portable hard drives of 2 Tb for a couple hundred bucks. If you are going to be doing a lot of video gaming or Auto-Cad you likely want the biggest RAM memory like the 16 GB? (shouldnt that be MB). All of the Intel I-7 processors are the fastest on the market today and should last you a long time.
    I don't do gaming on mine, just email and internet like TBN. I just bought a new HP Pavilion 23 with 4 GB RAM and Intel Core I-5 processor. It is one of those that has a big 23" screen and computer and screen are one unit. It came with wireless mouse and keyboard so no cables to mess with. It is like a big laptop that doesn't fold up. I like it, only cord attached is the power supply. I looked at replacing the old desktop, but BestBuy wanted more by $200 for the same featured desktop (no monitor) than a comparable laptop. I told him they were nuts, who would want to buy a desk top for more than a laptop if both had same processor and RAM.
    I prefer desk top computers, do not like notebooks, so I would pay more for a desktop. Mind you, I prefer my Mac over anything PC. Also don't shop bestbuy either, they treat their staff like garbage.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

If you are running CAD, I would look at a workstation type video card instead of gamer. And, in today's world, load up with more memory; many motherboards, and that I7, support more than 8GB ram.

What chipset are the examples running? X79?

What power supply? I would look for an efficient PS, with some additional headroom in case you add another video card, or a bunch of hard drives(RAID or just extra storage).

Run a SSD for OS, and a few 2TB drives for storage? How big of CAD databases are you working with?
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

Just some food for thought. What are your plans for backing up you primary HD and data? Personally I'd go a lot smaller on the primary drive and then have 1-2 larger secondary drives for back-up and data storage. With only one drive, if you should have any mechanical problems with the drive, it could be VERY expensive to recover the data.

Personally on my desk-top my primary drive is only 160G and that is only half full. Can be backed up'd relatively quickly and one of my secondary drives I use just for back-ups can store several copies of my primary drive. Also do incremental back-up daily on the data files. Have a total of (4) hard drives for the desk-top.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S

I own, manage, and run an IT business in Houston (Intracat Systems). I would suggest a system with Windows 7 Professional - the 64 Bit version - DO NOT BUY THE "HOME" VERSION. Get the 64 Bit version of Windows 7 as it allows you to have more than 4GB of RAM (Random Access Memory). Then get as much RAM as your system's main board will allow. Most systems now allow for 8GB minimum, and this is a good starting point - I would not consider anything less. I could go into a long winded discussion about why you need the higher RAM systems, but you may already know the answer - as such I'll skip the "lecture".

The second system you listed looks ok. I have two monitors on ALL of my systems and it's one of those "features" I don't understand how I ever lived without. Kinda like a rear remote (or two)...

You did not mention brands, but personally I like Lenovo systems. I have 25 installed at one of my clients and we support all of them via remote access - as such they are NEVER off. They run 24/7 365 days a year and have been in place for up to 3 years now. The "M" series Lenovo's are the ones we spec.
    Keith

Kubota M7040 Kubota L3130

San Ducerro Vineyards Yoakum, TX

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    If you are running CAD, I would look at a workstation type video card instead of gamer. And, in today's world, load up with more memory; many motherboards, and that I7, support more than 8GB ram.

What chipset are the examples running? X79?

What power supply? I would look for an efficient PS, with some additional headroom in case you add another video card, or a bunch of hard drives(RAID or just extra storage).

Run a SSD for OS, and a few 2TB drives for storage? How big of CAD databases are you working with?
    No, meanwhile I'm not running AutoCAD, I will want to install it in a new computer. So I can't say how big the databases of CAD are. That's what I'm asking the experienced sales personnel as well.

The following is about 2nd example. Your questions get me into panic, but they are good and train me much.

The chipset is X77 with Intel Smart Response technology which stows system files in SSD disc accelerating the system in that way. The plate supports Lucid Universal MVP technology.

Power supply is 700W (or more).

SB3 Optical S/PDIF, possibility to create RAID SATA disc array (0,1,5 and 10).

This is the link about it: AK-SKYRACER-ULT-R3.1 Asmeninio kompiuterio komplektas SKY RACER ULTIMATE: Intel® Core Sorry, it's in local language, but the symbols and numbers are international.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

windows 8 is just fine. a lot think it is for "touch screen" but it does a good amount of improvements. instead of the old "start menu" the entire screen turns into the start menu. allowing you to see icons, and text. kinda like ebay. but instead of scrolling down, you have to scroll side ways. and you use corners of the screen, to find start menu, or settings bar on the right. ya it takes a little time to get use to. but find windows 8 big improvement. give it 6 months to a year or 2. and windows 8 functions will be crud happy, with bunch of programs and internet websites taking advantage of windows 8 layout.

==================
    i am not a real big fan, of pre built computers. to many corners cut. and really never seen pre-built computer last. vs a custom built computer, were someone took there time hunting / searching for the pieces of a computer, that were geared for overclocking / gamers / autocad setup.

your autocad program, what ever you end up going with may predict video card you get, and maybe even motherboard. so things are compatible. it really depends on how hard core you are with autocad. daily user of it. vs student, vs just because autocad sounds like it might be intresting to get into.

games, it depends, a 3 year old computer for games, can be rather outdated, for some games, and needing to disable options to make game run half way descent.

expect computer to last 3 to 5 years. trying to push longer and ya asking for problems.
    Ryan

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast