Info on tractor dealership

/ Info on tractor dealership #1  

Av8r815

Tractor
John Deere 4500
We are considering getting into the tractor business and looking for input.

There are several dealers in our area within 15-50 miles that may limit our options, so we are looking at McCormick and Yanmar tractors. We are also considering Bobcat for their line of skid steers and mini excavators. I understand they are getting away from tractors.

I would like opinions on these manufacturers as well as from other dealers past or present that carry these products or others.

We have lots of experience in business including Aviation, transportation, and a few other ventures ;) We are looking to gain as much info as possible before taking the plunge into tractors. We have a 10k square foot building in a great location for any business.

Any information on getting started in this business is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

/ Info on tractor dealership #2  
Welcome to TBN.

/ Info on tractor dealership #3  
Well, just settle down and take a long read of the many TBN threads which discuss dealer experiences and decide how your venture would deal with a similar problem and create/maintain/improve your reputation and attract purchasers.

Welcome to TBN.

How would you handle...

low inventory to try

salesman expertise

sales floor attitude

dealer service/warranty issues

appearance of having a second tier product

and other concern you will find expressed on TBN

best wishes!

/ Info on tractor dealership
Well, just settle down and take a long read of the many TBN threads which discuss dealer experiences and decide how your venture would deal with a similar problem and create/maintain/improve your reputation and attract purchasers.

Welcome to TBN.

How would you handle...

low inventory to try

salesman expertise

sales floor attitude

dealer service/warranty issues

appearance of having a second tier product

and other concern you will find expressed on TBN

best wishes!

Thanks for the welcome and reply...

Can you explain Low inventory to try, and appearance of having a second tier product. I understand 2nd tier product, but Kioti tractors seem to be very popular, and McCormick is essentially the same tractor.

/ Info on tractor dealership #5  
:welcome:I sure hope you can get your project off the ground and running. We can always use another tractor dealer out there carrying good products and giving good customer service. Much LUCK!!:thumbsup:

/ Info on tractor dealership #6  
Some tractor owners forget that the brand that they own was once frowned upon as jap crap. And the brand built up a following and frowns on any other brand doing the same.

/ Info on tractor dealership #7  
most folks want to try out a tractor...test drive it...with FEL and bale of hay, or dig some dirt or otherwise become familiar with the feel and controls. And often people are learning and need to try 25/30/35/40/45/50 HP versions of HST/GST/GEAR tractors with and without cabs...you do the math on the number of combinations of vehicles you might need on the lot to convince a customer that your product is right for him/her. Remember, inventory is expensive to maintain, but necessary since typically both JD and Kubota dealers lots are already well stocked.

Can you start out with a full lot of vehicles for customers to test drive?

most folks want to try out a tractor...test drive it...with FEL and bale of hay, or dig some dirt or otherwise become familiar with the feel and controls. And often people are learning and need to try 25/30/35/40/45/50 HP versions of HST/GST/GEAR tractors with and without cabs...you do the math on the number of combinations of vehicles you might need on the lot to convince a customer that your product is right for him/her. Remember, inventory is expensive to maintain, but necessary since typically both JD and Kubota dealers lots are already well stocked.

Can you start out with a full lot of vehicles for customers to test drive?

I haven't got the floor plan details from manufacturers yet, but yes I think we can. Most dealers in this area (including JD and Kubota) only have 10-15 tractors in stock and most are scuts and cuts less than 30hp.

/ Info on tractor dealership #9  
I always wondered why they don't put a roof over the outside show area.

I always wondered why they don't put a roof over the outside show area.

Good idea Murph... Sell carports and use them to keep tractors covered!