Another embarrassing moment...

/ Another embarrassing moment... #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
I was taking my backhoe off my tractor last night and with the exception of having too large of hands to get to the hydraulic quick connects comfortably everything was going pretty well.

With the pins removed and the hoses where they belonged I start the tractor and move the rockshaft control lever to lower the arms to lower the backhoe. Nothing! The tractor idled down but the arms didn't appear to move at all. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I check hydraulic connections and even remove and replace them- no change. I check everything I can think to check when a guy who works for me starts asking all sorts of questions as to "Could it be this?" or "Have you checked that?" even though he's not seen a tractor up close other than this one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm to the point of calling it a night and posting my problem in the John Deere forum on here when he starts pointing to different controls and asking what each and every one of them do and if that could cause the problem. Of course, I'm answering "no" to everything when he comes to the knob that controls the rockshaft drop rate. As I'm explaining that it only controls the 'rate of drop' and not the drop itself and that the drop is controlled by the lever I'm grasping he turns the knob.

Yep! Ever so gently the rockshaft arms lower and leave my backhoe resting on the concrete so perfectly I didn't even have to rock the tractor to get free. I just pulled away perfectly clean and smooth. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just as I start to feel pretty good about this I hear, "Anything else you need me to help you with on your tractor, just let me know!" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Another embarrassing moment... #2  
Well, I guess we should have mercy on you. You've already been hurt enough. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Another embarrassing moment... #3  
I can't say a word. Stop, go frontward go backward (slowly). That's what I know about tractors.

/ Another embarrassing moment... #4  
Ohhhh....soooo embarassing, but I can picture myself in your shoes. I've been in similar situations many times, especially in the software business where I'm employed. Nothing like the guy you're trying to teach this stuff to stepping up and solving the problem (out of pure dumb luck) you've been stuck on for hours.
Chalk it up to HUMILITY!

Bob

/ Another embarrassing moment... #5  
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guilty too.